Score: Babson 3, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (10-2, NEWMAC 3-2); Babson Beavers (15-1, NEWMAC 6-0)
Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
Date: October 4, 2022
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Parker Cummings: 10 kills
Amelia Combs: 9 kills and 8 digs
Caroline Davis: 24 digs
Caroline Bond: 36 assists and 16 digs
Jillian Kay: 5 blocks
Isabella Allen: 16 kills
Izzy Seebold: 46 assists and 13 digs
Tatum Stelter: 20 digs
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson jumped out to a 3-0 lead on the Beavers; led by two aces by Senior Caroline Bond, and a kill by Sophomore Amelia Combs.
- Babson battles back to take the lead with the help of a few Emerson errors. With the Beavers ahead 7-4, Emerson was forced to use a timeout and regroup.
- Coming out of the timeout, Sophomore Isabella Chu notched a kill to help swing some momentum in the Lions direction.
- The remainder of the set saw a back-and-forth battle between the two sides with Emerson clawing back to tie the set at 14-14. The teams traded points before Emerson was able to string together four consecutive points on kills by Combs and Senior Jillian Kay; which forced Babson to call a timeout. Emerson scored again after the timeout on a block by Kay and Bond, giving the Lions a 22-18 lead.
- The Lions were able to hold on to this lead and secure a 25-22 set victory.
- The Lions found themselves falling behind early in the second set. The Beavers jumoed out to a 4-0 lead before Emerson called their first timeout. The Lions were able to get on the board after the timeout, but Babson scored 7 of the next 8 points; forcing Emerson to use their second timeout.
- The Lions found themselves down 11-2 and this deficit proved to be too much to overcome. The closest the Lions would get to closing the gap was five points.
- Babson ultimately won the set by a score of 25-17; tying the match at 1-1.
- The Lions rebounded early in the third set as the teams traded points.
- However, with the scored tied at 5-5, Babson rattled off 7 consecutive points to pull away to a 12-5 lead.
- The Lions fought back throughout the set to cut the lead to just one point with a score of 23-22.
- Babson would score the next point before a kill by Chu gave the Lions one last chance at taking a 2-1 lead, but a kill by Babson's Lulu McShane locked in the 25-23 set victory for Babson.
- Similar to the previous set, set four saw both sides trading points, with one run by the Beavers which would prove to be the deciding factor.
- Sophomore Parker Cummings opened the scoring for the Lions with a kill before Babson scored three straight points.
- The Lions battled back and would take the lead 11-10 on back-to-back kills by Cummings; forcing Babson to use a timeout.
- Babson regrouped and took a 14-12 lead after the timeout. Emerson kept the match close but with the Beavers in the lead 19-18, a combination of Emerson errors and Babson aces allowed Babson to score five consecutive points, giving them a 24-18 lead.
- Another kill from McShane sealed the victory for Babson as they went on to win the match; 3-1.
The Lions head across town for a Friday night matchup against Wentworth on October 7th at 7pm.
FOLLOW THE LIONS