Score: Emerson 3, Wellesley 0
Records: Emerson Lions (9-1, 2-1 NEWMAC) ; Wellesley Blue (4-8, 0-4 NEWMAC)
Location: Wellesley, Mass. (Dorothy Towne Fieldhouse)
Date: September 27, 2022
The Lead: The sophomore duo of Amelia Combs and Parker Cummings led the Emerson women's volleyball team with six kills followed by a four-block showing from classmate Brooke Maynez as the Lions swept Wellesley, 3-0, on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
TylerBell Smith: eight kills
Mia Maxwell: one block
Rachel Xu: 12 digs, three aces
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Emerson trailed early on at 5-4, they registered the next seven of nine points and did not relinquish the lead through the remainder of the first frame. It was in the later portion of the stanza where the visitors racked up 14 kills to take the set, 25-16.
- The second frame started off neck-and-neck with the score leveled at 7-all. Emerson broke the tie with a six-point streak and ran up the score to 19-11.
- Wellesley gathered themselves and pieced together a late run that consisted of a pair of aces at the line from Xu, but Emerson came away with the 25-17 win.
- The defense for Emerson came in clutch and kept Wellesley at bay within the third stanza. The Lions pieced together a 5-0 spark and pushed their lead to 12-6.
- Emerson would never trail throughout the rest of the third and finished off the third, 25-15.
- Emerson comes back to Boston for an afternoon NEWMAC clash with Coast Guard on Saturday, October 1st at 12:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE LIONS