Score: Emerson 3, Rivier 0
Records: Emerson Lions (8-1, 1-1 NEWMAC); Rivier Raiders (7-2)
Location: Boston, Mass (Brown and Plofker Gym)
Date: September 20, 2022
The Lead: Sophomore Parker Cummings led the game with eight kills, and junior Isabella Cubba added four blocks and the Lions took down Rivier in a 3-0 sweep on Tuesday evening at Brown and Plofker Gym.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Parker Cummings: 8 kills
Caroline Bond: 17 assists and 14 digs
Caroline Davis: 20 digs
Cubba: 4 blocks
Sydney Racevicius: 7 kills
Avery Pollard: 18 assists and 2 blocks
Sofia Pawlusik: 16 digs
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions fell behind quickly to begin the first set. Two kills by Rivier and an attack error by the Lions would put Emerson behind 3-0.
- Rivier would hold a lead throughout much of the first set before a kill by Senior Jillian Kay would tie the set at 11-11. The next point would go to Emerson on a kill by Senior Caroline Bond; giving Emerson their first lead of the match at 12-11.
- The set would continue at a back-and-forth pace with neither side gaming more than a one-point advantage until Emerson was able to gain momentum late.
- With the Lions holding on to a 23-21 lead, two consecutive attack errors by Rivier secured the set victory for the Lions as they led the match 1-0.
- The second set saw Emerson storm out to a 5-0 lead. Two kills by Sophomore Amelia Combs, one kill by classmate Parker Cummings, and two aces from Bond gave the Lions a quick and comfortable lead.
- With the score 7-3 in favor of the Lions, Emerson would score 8 consecutive points. Kills from Sophomore Isabella Chu and Cubba helped push the Lions to a 15-3 lead.
- Rivier was unable to create any momentum throughout the remainder of the set and Emerson was able to cruise to a 25-8 set victory. The Lions held a 2-0 lead heading into the 3rd set.
- The third set saw the Lions, yet again, jump out to a quick lead. A block by Cubba and Bond gave Emerson an 8-3 lead.
- Errors by the Lions then allowed Rivier to string together seven straight points, taking their first lead since the first set. A timeout by Emerson allowed the Lions to regroup and answer with four consecutive points to regain the lead at 12-10.
- With the score 16-14 in favor of the Lions, a kill by Cummings sparked a nine-point rally for the home team.
- Combs would close out the match with three straight aces as the Lions closed out set three by a score of 25-14 and secured the 3-0 sweep of the Raiders.
The Lions hit the road to take on NEWMAC opponent, Springfield on Saturday, September 24th at 1pm.
FOLLOW THE LIONS
- Want all things Emerson Women's Volleyball? Follow the team on Instagram at @emersonvolleyball, as well as Twitter at @EmersonVBALL. Be sure to also follow Emerson Lions Athletics on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.