Score: Emerson 3, WPI 0
Records: Emerson Lions (7-1, NEWMAC 1-1); WPI Engineers (5-3, NEWMAC 0-2)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Harrington Auditorium)
Date: September 17, 2022
The Lead: Sophomore Isabella Chu paced the Lions with 13 kills, while Junior Isabella Cubba racked up 7 blocks to help Emerson defeat WPI in straight sets on Saturday afternoon at Harrington Auditorium.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Isabella Chu: 13 kills
Caroline Bond: 30 assists
Amelia Combs: 8 kills and 11 digs
Isabella Cubba: 7 blocks
Olivia Deckers: 7 kills and 6 digs
Lily Eldridge: 18 assists
Maddie Sanborn: 5 kills and 4 digs
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set began with WPI jumping out to a 2-0 lead on kills from Olivia Deckers and Maddie Sanborn.
- A service error by WPI got the Lions on the board before Sophomore Parker Cummings and Junior Isabella Cubba combined for a block before Sophomore Amelia Combs added an ace, giving the Lions a 3-2 lead. With this lead, Emerson would never look back.
- With the score 10-7 in favor of Emerson, the Lions rattled off 7 straight points including three kills by Combs, a kill by Cummings and another block by Chubba and Cummings.
- With a 17-7 lead, Emerson was ahead by a comfortable margin in the first set.
- A handful of errors by WPI late in the set would allow Emerson to secure the set victory.
- The second set saw Emerson storm out to a 4-0 lead with another kill by Combs, two attack errors by WPI and an ace by Senior Caroline Bond.
- After jumping out to a 4-0 lead, Emerson again would never relinquish their lead.
- Committing only four errors in the set, the Lions were able to maintain momentum.
- The Lions went on an 8-2 run late in the second set with the help of errors by WPI, kills by Cummings, Combs, and Sophomore Isabella Chu.
- A kill by Chubba would secure the 25-13 set victory for the Lions, giving them a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The Lions would yet again come out on fire in the third set, scoring five of the first six points. Senior Jillian Kay started the scoring in the set for Emerson as they jumped out to a 5-1 lead.
- WPI would storm back, scoring four consecutive points to tie the score at 5-5.
- Emerson quickly regained the lead with the next point, before the teams began trading points.
- With the set tied at 12-12, a kill by Chu would give the Lions a 13-12 lead that they would never give up.
- The Lions would go on a 9-2 run late in the set, extending their lead to 21-14. This run would prove to be too much for the Engineers to overcome and the Lions secured a 25-17 set victory and a 3-0 match sweep.
The Lions return home to host Rivier on Tuesday, September 20th at 7pm.
FOLLOW THE LIONS
- Want all things Emerson Women's Volleyball? Follow the team on Instagram at @emersonvolleyball, as well as Twitter at @EmersonVBALL. Be sure to also follow Emerson Lions Athletics on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.