Score: Emerson 3, Brandeis 0
Records: Emerson Lions (3-0) ; Brandeis Judges (3-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: September 8, 2022
The Lead: Paced by sophomore Parker Cummings' 14 kill effort and 10 more contributed from classmate Amelia Combs, the Emerson women's volleyball team battled to the three-set sweep over Brandeis on Thursday night in non-conference volleyball action at Brown & Plofker Gym.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Sydney Bent: nine kills
Ines Grom-Mansenecal: 21 assists
Arianna Jackson: two service aces
Ella Pereira: 15 digs
Rita Lai & Bent: two block assists
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Emerson opened the first with a 5-2 lead, Brandeis tallied the next seven of nine points to push ahead by two at 9-7. The Judges' lead was short-lived as a 11-3 spurt from Emerson propelled the Lions to their biggest lead of six at 18-12.
- Back-to-back Judges defensive miscues allowed the Lions to maintain their six-point advantage before the visitors earned back to more points to close within five at 21-16.
- A late 4-0 run that started off on a swing from Cummings and a pair of aces at the line from Mendez sealed the host's 25-16 victory to take the 1-0 lead.
- Emerson started off strong once again and came out with a 6-2 lead in the second behind another Cummings' kill. Brandeis closed the gap to three at 9-6 with a kill of their own from Anna Ertischek, which was the closest the Judges would come to the Lions.
- With the score at 11-7, a lengthy 10-2 streak by the Lions ballooned their lead into double-figures and did not let up.
- Brandeis was able to stay within 10, but Emerson kept on roll as they iced their second set victory, 25-13, on a kill by Chu and a Judges attack error.
- Unlike the first two frames, the third set began with score tight and teams exchanging leads. Down 7-5, Emerson used six of the next eight points to gain the two-point lead of 11-9. Brandeis, however, pieced a three-point streak of their own and reclaimed the one-point edge at 12-11.
- After Emerson and Brandeis continued to exchange scores through the midst of the set, the Judges strung together a late four-point run to give them their biggest of three at 21-18 on a Lions' attack error.
- Emerson hung on to a deficit of two at 22-20 and 23-21 before Cummings' pair of swings leveled the score at 23-all.
- With the score locked at 23, Emerson's comeback was completed with a Judges' attack mishap and a swing from Chu, which wrapped the 25-23 triumph and three-set sweep.
- Emerson treks out to Springfield on Saturday, September 10th for tri-match action against Western New England and Southern Maine at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE LIONS