Match 1 Score: Amherst 3, Emerson 1
Match 2 Score: Emerson 3, Western New England 1
Records: Emerson Lions (3-2) ; Amherst Mammoths (3-0) ; Western New England Golden Bears (2-5)
Location: Mass. (AHLC Gym)
Date: September 7, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Lions Women's Volleyball team took on the Mammoths of Amherst College and the Pioneers of Western New England, taking one of the two matches on Saturday.
Match One: Amherst 3, Emerson 1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Grace Tepper - 15 Kills, 14 Digs
Albany Alexander - 14 Kills
Logan Steenbergen - 11 Kills
Caroline Bond - 46 Assists, 8 Digs, 6 Kills
Jamie Dailey - 14 Kills
Sophie Launsbach - 13 Kills
Charlotte Duran - 53 Assists
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson and Amherst were knotted in a close first set, with no team leading by more than three for the first 30 points. The Lions and Mammoths were knotted at 15 before Emerson took 6 of 8 points to open up a 4 point lead. Emerson closed out the Mammoths in the first set with a 25-18 victory.
- The second set was another close battle, with the Lions and Mammoths going back and forth. Both teams were at 19 before Amherst took three of four points to take a 22-20 lead. Emerson fought back but the Mammoths were able to close out the set on a Dailey kill, 25-23.
- The third set saw Amherst take an early 3 point lead at 10-7. The Lions fought back, cutting the lead to one at 20-19 on a Carolyn Vaimoso (Torrance, Calif.) kill. Amherst held on to take the third set 25-23 on an Emily Kolsky kill to take the set 25-23.
- The Mammoths opened up a 5 point lead at 12-7 early in the fourth set before Emerson rallied of four in a row headlined by a Vaimoso ace to cut the lead to 12-11. Amherst opened up another run to take another five point lead before the lions rattled off five points of their own to tie the score at 20. The teams traded points before the Mammoths were able to pull away and take the 25-23 victory in the fourth set, giving Amherst the 301 victory.
Match Two: Emerson 3, Western New England 1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Grace Tepper - 20 Kills, 7 Digs
Caroline Bond - 17 Assists
Rebecca Polsky - 15 Assists
Western New England
Ashley Matthews - 11 Kills, 14 Digs
Maria Duffy - 32 Assists
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set saw the teams go back and forth with the lead. The Lions fell behind 17-13 and continued to battle, but were never able to make up the difference completely. Emerson was able to come back and cut the lead to one, but intimately fell int he first set 25-23.
- The second set was much of the same, with the Lions and Golden Bears going back and forth early. Emerson jumped out to a 3 point lead at 8-5 behind a Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) kill, but WNE came right back and took a 3 point lead of their own at 13-10. After being down 16-17, the Lions won nine of 14 points to take a victory in the second set 25-21, with Tepper finishing the set off with a kill.
- The Lions jumped out early to a 6-0 lead in the second set behind two kills from Tepper. Emerson extended their lead to 11-3 before the Golden Bears tried to get back into it, but were unable to. Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fla.) finished the set with a kill, giving the Lions the 25-13 victory and the 2-1 lead in the match.
- Emerson started strong again in the fourth set, taking 12 of the first 16 points for a commanding 12-4 lead. The Lions extended their lead to 10 at 19-9 before the Golden Bears rattled off five points of their own. Emerson rallied again to take the final set 25-18 and the match 3-1.
- Emerson travels across the Boston Common to take on Suffolk on Tuesday, September 10th starting at 6:00pm.