Score: No. 22 MIT 3, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (12-13, 3-6 NEWMAC) ; No. 22 MIT Engineers (25-2, 8-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
Date: Tuesday, October 24, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson women's volleyball team found themselves at the other end of a 3-0 sweep by the nationally ranked No. 22 MIT Engineers in NEWMAC women's volleyball action on Tuesday night. After coming up short in a 26-24 first set loss, the Lions squandered 25-15 and 25-20 setbacks in the final two stanzas.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Freshman Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) and sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.) paced Emerson's offense with seven kills each, while junior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) registering 20 assists and junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) serving a pair of aces.
- Junior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) produced an overall match best 14 digs with Guerra leading the defense with six blocks, including five block assists.
- Abby Bertics led all scorers with 16 kills for MIT, while Christian Liao had 28 assists and Carly Silvernale and Alli Davanzo each served three aces.
- Silvernale also recorded 10 kills and five Engineers recorded one block apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (MIT 26, Emerson 24)
- MIT held a 14-7 lead over Emerson until the Lions pieced together a streak of six consecutive points to pull within one at 14-13 on an attack error by the Engineers.
- After Engineers pulled ahead by five at 19-14, the Lions erased the five point deficit to put the score at 19-18 and grabbed its first lead at 21-20 thanks to back-to-back bad sets by MIT.
- Emerson was a point away from taking the first set at 24-23, but MIT registered the last trio of points on a pair of swings from Bertics.
SET TWO (MIT 25, Emerson 15)
- Emerson was able to get themselves to within three at 9-3 after MIT jumped out to a 6-0 lead to start off the second frame, but the hosts started to quickly extend their lead and ballooned the lead into double figures at 20-10.
- The Lions were able to get back to within single digits of the Engineers at 23-14, but it was not enough as MIT tacked on the final two points on kills from Bertics and Groark.
- Emerson commanded the opening portion of the final stanza and maintained a 14-9 lead over MIT after a pair of aces from Guerra.
- Thanks to a kill from Groark, it ignited the Engineers to go on a 12-2 run and pushed themselves ahead of the Lions at 21-16.
- A swing from Bertrand and an MIT service error allowed Emerson to put the score at 21-18, but it was the closest the Lions would come as the Engineers tallied the final four of six points of the match.
- Emerson closes their 2017 campaign on Saturday, October 28 and will host Springfield at 1:00 p.m.
- MIT wraps up its regular season schedule on Saturday, October 28 at WPI for a NEWMAC road tilt slated for a 1:00 p.m. start.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!