Match One Score: Emerson 3, Me. - Presque Isle 0 (25-9, 25-15, 25-22)
Match Two Score: Emerson 3, Salem State 0 (25-16, 25-13, 25-23)
Records: Emerson Lions (12-12) ; Me. - Presque Isle Owls (11-18) ; Salem State Vikings (11-12)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, October 21, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson women's volleyball team concluded tri-match for the 2017 season with a 3-0 sweep over the visiting Salem State Vikings and Me.- Presque Isle Owls in non-conference women's volleyball action on Saturday afternoon. Freshman Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fl.) and junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) racked up 10 kills each for the Lions to grab its first sweep of the day over the Owls. In the second match of the day, freshman Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) powered out a double-double effort of 10 kills and 13 digs to lead the Lions to another 3-0 sweep over the Vikings.
Match One: Emerson 3, Me. - Presque Isle 0
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Alexander and Guerra paced Emerson with 10 kills a piece, while junior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) registered a match high 19 assists and a trio of aces with Guerra also serving three aces.
- Junior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) led all scorers with 14 digs to match one block with senior Halley Dewey (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) also registering one block.
- For Presque Isle, Maddi Thweatt had eight swings and Brittney Harper registered 12 helpers while she and Brooke Franklin each served an ace.
- Taylor Johnson had nine seven digs and Miranda Washinawatok led the defense with one block.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, Me. - Presque Isle 9)
- With the score at 8-7 in Emerson's favor, the Lions began to pull away and gave themselves a seven point cushion at 14-7 on a 6-0 run that included three aces from Guerra.
- Presque Isle was able to earn its final two points on back-to-back Lions errors, but with Brennan on the line, the Purple registered the final 11 points to take the 25-9 first set win.
SET TWO (Emerson 25, Me. - Presque Isle 15)
- Emerson jumped out to an early 7-1 lead to start of the second frame before Presque Isle produced the next nine points to claim the 10-9 lead on a swing by Taylor Johnson.
- The Lions took back the lead at 16-11 after a string of the following seven of eight points and bumped the score at 19-12 on a bad set by the Owls.
- Presque Isle stayed within seven of Emerson within the closing portion of the stanza at 21-15 as the Lions wrapped up the 25-16 triumph with the last four of five points.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, Me. - Presque Isle 22)
- Holding its biggest lead of four at 6-2, Presque Isle allowed Emerson to claw their way back into the set and square the score at 8-all before a kill by Dewey pushed the Lions ahead, 11-9.
- Through the middle of the stanza, Presque Isle kept pace with the hosts and stayed within one at 17-16 before they went ahead at 19-18.
- Emerson produced the next four of five points to gain the 22-20 edge until the visitors knotted the score again, this time at 22-all.
- The Lions would hold the Owls to 22 points and registered its last trio of points on kills by Dewey, sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.) and Alexander.
Match Two: Emerson 3, Salem State 0
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper was the only scorer on both sides to rack up double figures in kills (10), while Brennan recorded a match-best 39 helpers and Guerra served a pair of aces.
- The Lions saw three players register double digits in kills, including 13 for Tepper, 11 for Cohen and 10 for sophomore Jamie Groele (Chelmsford, Mass.).
- On the defensive end, Alexander had one block.
- For Salem State, both Jasmine Severino and Samantha Chaisson each recorded five kills, while Mackenzie Salls had 16 assists, Morgan Adams served two aces and Hannah Mullarkey had 11 digs.
- Severino also recorded the lone block for the Vikings defense.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, Salem State 16)
- Emerson racked up a .419 hit percentage to snag the 25-16 triumph over Salem State within the first set and grab the 1-0 match lead.
- The Lions held a 6-2 lead over the Vikings, but it did not last as the Vikings stormed back with the next five points to claim a 7-6 edge.
- The visitors remained within two at 13-11 on a Lions attack error before the Purple pieced together an 8-0 streak to balloon their advantage into double digits at 21-11.
- Despite Salem State adding the next five of seven points to inch within seven at 23-16, Emerson put the set away on kills from Guerra and Tepper.
SET TWO (Emerson 25, Salem State 13)
- The score was in an 8-all knot after an 4-0 run by Salem State until Emerson surged for the following 11 points to stretch its biggest lead into double figures at 19-8.
- Emerson continued to hold Salem State within a comfortable distance of nine at 22-13 and upped its match lead to 2-0 after a pair of kills and a Vikings attack error closed out the 25-13 win.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, Salem State 23)
- Emerson had a four point lead at 10-6 erased and saw Salem State square the score four times, the last time at 14-all before the hosts produced the following five points to claim the 19-14 lead off a swing from Guerra.
- After the Lions had a five point cushion at 22-17, the Vikings threatened and earned the next six o nine points to close within one at 24-22, yet it was the Lions who held on and sealed the sweep on a Vikings service error.
- Emerson goes on the road for the last time this season on Tuesday, October 24 at MIT for a 6:00 p.m. NEWMAC tilt.
- Me. -Presque Isle continues action on the road and head off to Me.-Fort Kent on Wednesday, October 25 at a time yet to be announced.
- Salem State will travel to Mount Ida on Tuesday, October 24 for one of its final two non conference matches at 6:00 p.m.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!