Match One Score: Emerson 3, WPI 0
Match Two Score: Emerson 3, Pine Manor 0
Records: Emerson Lions (8-8, 2-3 NEWMAC) ; WPI Engineers (6-10, 1-5 NEWMAC) ; Pine Manor (3-10, 0-0 ECAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, September 30, 2017
The Lead: Backed by a pair of sweeps over the WPI Engineers and Pine Manor Gators, the Emerson women's volleyball team moved to .500 on the season on Saturday afternoon in tri-match action. Led by a double-double performance of 14 kills and and 12 digs from freshman Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.), Emerson took down WPI for the first time since 2014 in straight sets for a NEWMAC win to start off the day. Junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) powered the Lions with 13 swings to push Emerson to 3-0 sweep over Pine Manor to wrap up the day.
MATCH ONE: Emerson 3, WPI 0
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Both Tepper and Guerra powered out double digits in kills for Emerson, Tepper with 14 and Guerra with 10.
- Junior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) put up a game-high 25 digs followed by Tepper with 12,.
- Junior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) recorded a match best 32 assists, sophomore Jamie Groele (Chelmsford, Mass.) served two aces and Guerra led the defense overall with five blocks.
- For WPI, Sarah Kwatinetz led the offense with eight kills, Azita Bakhtyari recorded 26 helpers while Colleen Mullins served four aces, Victoria Nassar had 21 digs and three Engineers had a pair of blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, WPI 22)
- Emerson held a 5-3 lead before WPI stormed back to put up the next five points to go ahead by three at 8-5.
- After Lions answered with another trio of points to knot the score at 13-all, the score differential never soared above two as both Emerson and WPI exchanged the lead through the middle portion of the stanza.
- WPI tacked on its last point to even the set at 22-all before Emerson wrapped up the set with three consecutive points, capped off by an attack error by the Engineers.
SET TWO (Emerson 25, WPI 21)
- WPI started out the second frame with a 6-5 edge until Emerson banged out six points to put themselves ahead 11-6.
- The Engineers answered with 10 of the next 14 points to reclaim the 16-15 lead and registered a string of four points to knot the score at 21-all.
- The Purple capitalized on a trio of Engineers attack errors and a kill by Tepper to add on the final four points to grab the second stanza win.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, WPI 22)
- After Emerson gained a 13-7 lead, WPI produced a string of four points to close within a pair at 13-11 before the Engineers continued to keep themselves within one.
- The largest the lead the Lions held over the Engineers was four at 16-12 as the Engineers followed up with the next four of five points to hold the score at 17-16.
- WPI continued to threaten through the closing half of the third frame, but Emerson was able to hold on and edged out the Engineers 25-23 for the sweep on a swing by Tepper.
MATCH TWO: Emerson 3, Pine Manor 0
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Guerra, the only player on both teams to record double digits in kills, put up 13 to match a pair of aces and two solo blocks.
- Groele records an overall match-best 18 assists, while Tepper served four aces and sophomore Jessica Braunstein (Demarest, N.J.) registered eight digs.
- For Pine Manor, Keisha Hadorn put up seven kills for the Gators, Ashley Whiteshield had 17 helpers and one ace and Alexa Leon recorded nine digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, Pine Manor 13)
- With the score at 8-5 in Emerson's favor, the Lions propelled to a 12-5 lead on a string of four points that consisted of three kills by sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.) and Guerra.
- Emerson continued to extend their lead to eight at 17-9 on an ace from Brennan before Tepper served three aces to help the Lions surge for the final eight of 10 points and grabbed the 25-13 win.
SET TWO (Emerson 25, Pine Manor 13)
- Emerson racked up a hit percentage of .277 in the second frame and held Pine Manor to a -.100 to move to a 2-0 match lead over the Gators.
- The Lions led by as much as 14 at 23-9 and allowed the Gators to earn back four of the next five points to push the score to 24-13.
- Emerson locked up the set win on a swing by Bertrand to secure the 25-13 score.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, Pine Manor 12)
- After Emerson jumped out to a 10-6 lead to open the final frame, the Lions pushed its advantage up to 15-7 backed by a combined four swings from Guerra and Tepper.
- A string of four points by the Lions pushed the score into double figures with the score at 19-9 before Emerson closed the book on Pine Manor and tacked on the final five of seven points for the match sweep.
- Emerson hits the hardwood again on Tuesday, October 3 as the Lions head off to Wheaton (Mass.) for a NEWMAC tilt at 7:00 p.m.
- WPI will also be in NEWMAC road action on Tuesday night and travel to Coast Guard for a match slated for a 7:00 p.m. start.
- Up next, Pine Manor heads to Mass. Maritime on Tuesday night in a 7:00 p.m. contest.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!