Score: Emerson 3, Emmanuel (Mass.) 0 (25-16, 25-23, 25-20)
Records: Emerson Lions (6-8) ; Emmanuel Saints (4-9)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Andy Yosinoff Court)
Date: Thursday, September 28, 2017
The Lead: Freshman Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) contributed a match-high 16 kills followed by a 17 dig performance from junior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) to push the Emerson women's volleyball past the Emmanuel College Saints in straight sets on Thursday night. The Lions grabbed the 25-16 first set win over the Saints and went on to edge out a 25-23 win in the second frame before wrapping the match up with a 25-20 triumph in the final stanza.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper and Cohen paced the Emerson offense as Tepper recorded 16 kills and Cohen had 17 kills, while junior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) had a match-best 31 helpers.
- Four Lions served a pair of aces, including freshman Jamie Groele (Chelmsford, Mass.), Tepper, Cohen and junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.).
- Senior Halley Dewey (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) led both teams on the defensive end with five blocks, including four block assists and one solo block.
- Mary Shelow paced Emmanuel with 13 kills, while Carly Church followed with 29 assists, and both Michelle Church and Casey Sheehan each recorded nine digs.
- Both Carly Church and Katharine Journeay served one ace apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, Emmanuel 16)
- A match-best hit percentage of .321 within the first frame allowed Emerson to roll to a 25-16 win and take a 1-0 match lead over Emmanuel.
- Capped off by a swing from freshman Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fl.), Emerson took a commanding 9-2 to start off the first frame.
- Emmanuel closed to within four at 10-6 before the Purple extended its lead to eight at 19-11 on a kill from sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.).
- The Saints were able to earn five points back, but it was too late as the Lions notched the match point on an attack error.
SET TWO (Emerson 25, Emmanuel 23)
- Emerson quickly erased Emmanuel's first lead of 5-2 and went on to notch the next seven of nine points to push themselves in front at 9-8.
- With a 12-10 edge over the Saints, the Lions surrendered four of the next five points to allow the Saints to reclaim the 14-13 advantage.
- The Purple was able to hold three-point cushion at 20-17 before the Saints pieced together three straight points to square the set at 20-all.
- After Emmanuel claimed the 23-22 lead on back-to-back swings from Shelow, Emerson rattled off the final three points to take the 25-20 win.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, Emmanuel 20)
- Emerson raced out of the third stanza with a 6-1 lead before Emmanuel registered six points to knot the score, 7-all.
- Both teams traded points to put the score at 12-12 until Emerson grabbed the lead for good on an attack error committed by Emmanuel at 13-12.
- The Saints closed to within one at 19-18 on a kill by Marissa Cataldo, but the Lions held on and produced the final six scores to preserve the 25-23 set win and 3-0 match triumph.
- Emerson comes back home to wrap up September action on Saturday, September 30 to host WPI and Pine Manor in a tri-match slated to begin at 12:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel will also be in tri-match play on Saturday afternoon as the Saints host Mount Ida and Dean starting at 12:00 p.m.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!