Score: Emerson 9, Mass.-Maritime 8
Records: Emerson Lions (7-3, 1-2 NEWMAC) ; Mass.-Maritime Buccaneers (7-3, 1-0 LEC)
Location: Buzzards Bay, Mass. (Clean Harbors Stadium)
Date: April 5, 2022
The Lead: Freshman Callie Krosin tallied a game-high four goals and four other members of the Emerson women's lacrosse team contributed goals as the Lions came away with the tight 9-8 road victory on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Krosin: four goals
Ainsley Basic: two goals & one assist
Julia Mallon: one goal, one assist & two caused turnovers
Lauren Longstreet: one goal
Maddy Reyes: one goal
Hannah Beck: four ground balls & one assist
Jules Rein: five draw controls
Nina Khosla: two caused turnovers
GOALIE: Nina Khosla (W, 7-3) - eight goals allowed on 19 shots with 11 stops through 60 minutes
Nora McLaughlin: three goals
Allie Dickinson: two goals
Cassie Llewellyn: one goals, two assists & six draw controls
Lindsy Durgin: one goal
Paige Albertson: one goal
Aviva Beringhause: six ground balls & two caused turnovers
Sarah Smialek: two caused turnovers
GOALIE: Avivia Beringhause (L, 7-3) - nine goals allowed on 20 shots with 22 stops through 60 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fifty seconds into the first quarter, Mass. Maritime struck on a goal from Albertson to give the Buccaneers the quick 1-0 advantage. Emerson's one-goal deficit did not last for over a minute later at 13:09, Basic, Reyes and Krosin potted a trio of goals to push the Lions ahead, 3-1.
- At the 6:49 mark of the first, Dickinson put in an unassisted marker to lift the hosts back within one at 3-2.
- The second frame was competitive between Emerson and Mass. Maritime for there were only three goals scored with one going the Lions' way. After Llewellyn locked the score at 3-all at 10:29, Basic fired in the go-ahead 4-3 goal at 9:47.
- Dickinson put in the Buccaneers' second goal of the quarter to once again put the score in a tie with 5:41 on the clock. The home team got one last shot attempt off in the final two minutes, but Khosla made the stop to hold the 4-4 tie.
- Emerson and Mass.-Maritime exchanged goals within the third in another tight 15 minutes of action as the quarter ended in another tie, this time at 6-all.
- Mallon registered a free-potion tally to give Emerson the 5-4 advantage before McLaughlin tacked on back-to-back nets to give the Buccaneers their first lead since the first quarter at 6-5.
- A net at 5:41 from Krosin put Emerson right back in the mix to level the score at 6-all entering the final 15 minutes.
- McLaughlin's third marker of the game pushed Mass. Maritime ahead at 7-6 with 12:21 left in regulation. From the 9:07 mark through 5:56, Krosin and Longstreet sparked the offense with three goals to lift Emerson on top for good at 9-7.
- Mass. Maritime got a goal from Durgin and erased Emerson's two-goal deficit down to 9-8 and 53 seconds left on the clock.
- The Emerson defense would not allow Mass. Maritime another possession and sealed the 9-8 victory.
- Emerson gets back into conference play on Saturday, April 9th and host Springfield at 4:00 p.m.