Score: MIT 21, Emerson 3
Records: Emerson Lions (6-3, 1-2 NEWMAC) ; MIT Engineers (4-4, 2-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: April 1, 2022
The Lead: Freshman Callie Krosin tallied two of the Lions' goals with another coming from senior Hannah Beck in the Emerson women's lacrosse team's NEWMAC home opening setback to MIT, 21-3, on Friday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Krosin: two goals
GOALIE: Nina Khosla (L, 6-3) - 21 goals allowed on 34 shots with 13 stops through 60 minutes
Julianna Flushe: five goals
Ellie Rabenold: four goals & three draw controls
Lindsey Gambino: three goals
Naomi Lutz: two goals & two assists
Grace Ann Carlson
Emma Taukus: two goals
Sydney Pyon: two goals & four ground balls
Makena Armstrong: two assists
Nora Donnelly: three draw controls
GOALIE: Kiely Smiga-McManus (W, 4-4) - three goals allowed on six shots with three saves through 60 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first 15 minutes, MIT outscored Emerson, 10-1, to take the nine-goal lead over the Lions. Rabenold potted the first MIT goal at 13:54 before Flushe strung together a trio of nets to push the visitors leads to 4-0 at 10:57.
- Emerson saw their deficit reach seven after a net from Gambino before Krosin found the back of the net for the Lions' first marker at 6:32. Before the frame's end, the Engineers put in another pair of goals from Taukus and Carlson.
- Four goals were scored within the second frame, three from MIT and one from Emerson as the Engineers held the 13-2 advantage. MIT tallied goals from three different scorers, including Rabenold, Gambino and Lutz, while Emerson got its lone goal from Beck at 4:25.
- MIT began the third stanza with a pair of man-up markers from Donnelly and Rabenold with 7:49 left in the quarter. Pyon added on another MIT goal at 5:51 before Emerson tacked on its third tally on a goal from Krosin with 21 ticks on the clock.
- It was the visiting Engineers who did all the scoring in the fourth and added on five more nets to put the final score at 21-3.
- Emerson takes a quick break from league action and takes on Mass. Maritime on Tuesday, April 5th at 7:00 p.m.