Score: Coast Guard 17, Emerson 9
Records: Emerson Lions (0-1) ; U.S. Coast Guard Academy (1-0)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Saturday, March 20, 2021
The Lead: Freshman Lauren Longstreet opened up the Lions season with two quick goals, but after falling behind to the Bears, Emerson was unable to overcome the deficit in their season opener, falling 17-9.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Etta Davis: 4 Goals
Addy Bass 3 Goals
Gianna Cascio: 3 Goals
Goalie: Mary Budri (1-0) 6 Saves
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Longstreet opened up the scoring with two quick goals to give Emerson a 2-0 lead after the first 10 minutes of the game.
- Coast Guard came right back, scoring the next five goals to take a 5-2 at the 8:03 mark of the first half, with Maria del Rosario Chan scoring the final goal of the run on a free position shot.
- Kelli Mark drew one back for the Lions with 3:34 remaining in the first half, but the Bears scored two goals in the final 17 seconds of the half to take a 7-3 lead into the break.
- Emerson opened up the half with a quick goal from Mark, followed by two more from Julia Mallon to cut the deficit to one at 7-6. After the Bears restored their two-goal lead, Emerson scored two more, with Longstreet and Mark finishing their hat tricks to tie the game at 8 with 19:30 remaining.
- Coast Guard went on a 6-0 run over the next 15 minutes, cutting the Lions comeback short.
- Ainsley Basic pulled one back from Emerson with 3:45 remaining before Etta Davis scored two with under two minutes remaining, to bring the final score to 17-9.
- Emerson continues their season next week as they travel to Wheaton (Mass.) next Saturday at 1:00pm