Score: Emerson 17, Rhode Island 5
Records: Emerson Lions (1-1) ; Rhode Island College Anchorwomen (0-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: March 9th, 2020
The Lead: Behind a nine point night from Senior Jenna Tomsky (Clinton, N.J.) and five combined saves from Nina Kholsa (La Jolla, Calif.) and Elizabeth Fretz (Falls Church, Va.) the Emerson Lions Women's Lacrosse Team earned their first victory since 2017.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Goals: Jenna Tomsky (6), Kelli Mark (3)
Assists: Tomsky (3)
Ground Balls: Julia Mallon (5)
Saves: Khosla (2), Fretz (3)
Rhode Island College
Goals: Giana Ritchie (4)
Assists: Ashley Rewers (1)
Ground Balls: Madison McKenna (2)
Saves: Shannon Duckworth (10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson grabbed a two goal lead within the first three minutes behind goals from seniors Camille Mumford (Yardley, Penn.) and Tomsky. The Anchorwomen tied the game at two three minutes later with 24:11 left in the first half.
- The Lions went on a five goal run over the next five minutes, with Mumford scoring the first and Kelli Mark (Hermosa Beach, Fla.) grabbing two goals. After 15 minutes played, the Lions led 7-3, with Rhode Island grabbing one goal at 16:23.
- Emerson closed out the half on a 3-0 run behind three free position goals in the last ten minutes from Annalise McDonnell (Sarasota, Fla.), Tomsky, and Mark. Emerson took a 10-3 lead into the halftime.
- The Lions opened up the second half with two more foals in the first five minutes, with Lily Nelson (Harrington Park, N.J.) scoring her second in a man up opportunity with 25:32 remaining in the second half, putting the Lions up 9.
- Rhode Island got one goal back from Giana Ritchie, but Hannah Beck answered just over one minute later to restore the Lions 9 goal lead by sliding the ball past the Rhode Island College goalie with a backhand attempt.
- Emerson scored four more goals to take a 17-5 lead, and Ritchie added one more late for the Anchorwomen, but Emerson finished off the Rhode Island school 17-5, earning their first victory since 2017.
Emerson gets right back in action on Wednesday when they travel to Nichols at 4:00pm.