Score: Emerson 76, New England College 69
Records: Emerson Lions (6-10) ; New England College Pilgrims (7-8)
Location: Henniker, N.H. (Bridges Gymnasium)
Date: January 16, 2023
The Lead: The junior duo of Ella Bushee and Olivia Deslauriers cashed in a combined 46 points to help pace the Emerson women's basketball team to their third straight win in a 76-69 victory over New England College on Monday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Deslauriers: 20 points, 10 rebounds, three steals
Bushee: 26 points
Chelsea Gibbons: 10 points, three steals
Devin Hill: four assists
NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE
Ericka Pratt: 13 points, 14 rebounds, six steals
Kathleen Rodriguez: 12 points, two blocks
Makiah Scott: 11 points
Asia Jones: three assists
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bushee and Gibbons racked up a combined 16 points in the first quarter to help Emerson snag the nine-point 22-12 lead.
- With 3:38 gone in the opening frame, Emerson was able to hold New England to a mere two points and snagged the nine-point lead on an 11-2 run that was capped on Hill's jumper.
- After being held off the board for nearly four minutes, the Pilgrims used a 9-2 run and seven points from Scott to narrow the Lions' advantage down to two at 13-11 with 2:28 left to play in the quarter.
- Emerson's two-point lead was soon extended for a bucket from Bushee kickstarted a 9-1 run through the remaining 2:17 and gave the visitors the 22-12 lead.
- 47 seconds into the second frame saw Emerson jump into a double-digit cushion at 10 after Deslauriers sent up a layup (24-14). Despite New England closing in within single digits three times, Emerson came out of the stanza with a 12-point cushion. (40-28)
- Bushee's eight points paced Emerson within the third quarter as the Lions were outscored by two, 19-17, yet still kept a hold of the 10-point 57-47 advantage to close the frame.
- Deep into the third is when New England tallied a quick four points from 2:46 to 2:29 and closed the margin to six at 49-43 on Pratt's layup (49-43).
- A layup from Bushee followed by sophomore Mackenzie Bruno's trip to the free throw stripe put the Lions back up 10 with the score moved to 53-43 with 1:45 on the clock.
- The Pilgrims inched back within eight through the final 1:05 as Deslauriers converted a perfect free-throw trip with the score sat at 57-47 to wrap the third.
- A 6-0 streak opened New England's fourth frame and used the first 1:04 to turn Emerson's 10-point lead into a four-point advantage at 57-53 at 8:55. Perhaps the Pilgrims' biggest opportunity to take over came at the 5:16 mark after Rodriguez's layup moved the hosts to within three. (61-59)
- New England stay on Emerson's heels through the final five minutes of regulation despite the Lions' six-point lead at 4:53 and once again inched within a trio on a free throw.
- Emerson took to the charity stripe in the quarter's last 1:23 and iced the victory when Deslauriers sank a pair of free throws within six ticks on the clock.
- Emerson returns home on Wednesday, January 18th for their NEWMAC home opener hosting Wheaton (Mass.) at 7:00 p.m.