Score: Colby-Sawyer 55 Emerson 50
Records: Emerson Lions (1-1); Colby-Sawyer Chargers (1-0)
Location: New London, NH (David L. Coffin Field House)
Date: November 10, 2022
The Lead: Despite a 20-point effort by Junior Ella Bushee, the Lions could not hold off a fourth quarter surge from Colby-Sawyer as they fell by a score of 55-50 on Tuesday night in New London NH.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Ella Bushee: 18 points and 6 rebounds
Olivia Deslauriers: 8 points and 5 rebounds
Mackenzie Bruno: 7 rebounds
Courtney Brewster: 10 points and 6 rebounds
Lia Raynowska: 10 points and 6 rebounds
Eliza Mitchell: 6 points and 7 rebounds
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions jumped out to an early lead and were met by minimal resistance from Colby-Sawyer. Bushee and Senior Carla Pelino combined to score the Lions first 10 points and Emerson held a 10-3 lead about halfway through the first quarter.
- The Chargers were able to push back, but the Lions were able to keep a safe distance and keep the lead at 7 points through the remainder of the first quarter. The Lions closed out the first 10 minutes with a 16-9 lead.
- The Lions offense slowed down to begin the second quarter, allowing Colby-Sawyer to climb back into the game. A made jump-shot by Courtney Brewster brought the Charger within two points with a score of 20-18.
- Sophomore Devin Hill along with Pelino and Bushee helped keep the Lions ahead throughout the remainder of the second quarter.
- Junior Olivia Deslauriers drilled a jumper with :25 remining in the half to push Emerson's lead back up to 6 points. Going into halftime, the Lions held a 30-24 lead.
- Emerson was again able to keep the Chargers at bay over the course of the thirst quarter.
- Again, led by Pelino and Bushee, the Lions were able to close out the third quarter with a 6-point cushion. After three quarters, the score was 43-37.
- The Chargers opened the fourth quarter with an 8-0 run, including a go-ahead three-pointer by Emily Parent. This gave the Chargers their first lead of the game and some late game momentum.
- This set the stage for a back-and-forth battle in the final quarter. Following Parent's game-tying three-pointer, Bushee tied the game at 45-45 with a jumper. Parent immediately answered with another three-pointer, giving the Chargers a 48-45 lead.
- Following this, the Chargers continued to hold their lead until Sophomore Quinn O'Connor hit a free-throw to tie the game at 50-50.
- The Chargers hit a layup shortly after the Lions tied the game and they would never relinquish this lead.
- Colby-Sawyer tacked on three more late points to take a 55-50 lead and walk away with their first victory of the 2022-23 season.
The Lions head to Rhode Island to take on Bryant at 6pm on Saturday, November 12.