Score: Emerson 71, Wentworth 64
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0) ; Wentworth Leopards (0-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: November 8, 2022
The Lead: Led by junior Olivia Deslauriers's game-best 20 points, three members of the Emerson women's basketball team notched double-figures in points as the Lions held on for the 71-64 season-opening victory over Wentworth on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Deslauriers: 20 points
Ella Bushee: 18 points
Devin Hill: 10 points, 10 rebounds, two blocks & three steals
Chelsea Gibbons: three steals
Maddy Foster: 20 points
Nattaly David: 18 points, four steals
Gabby Amoddio: 11 points, four steals
Francesca Farrell: four steals
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The trio of Bushee, Hill and Deslauriers helped Emerson burst out to a 9-0 lead with four minutes gone in the first frame.
- Wentworth answered with a 6-0 spurt and erased what was once a nine-point lead down to three at 9-6 after Foster's layup. A triple from Bushee kept Emerson up six at 12-6, but yet again, Wentworth responded with another six-point run capped by David's triple to lock the score at 12-all.
- At the 1:39 mark, sophomore Bianca Benson drained a deep three followed by Hill's trey with 26 seconds to lift Emerson to the five-point 17-12 lead.
- Three points in the opening two minutes of the second put Emerson's lead into double-figures for the first time at 22-12 after Gibbons' successful lay-up.
- Amoddio's trey put Wentworth's deficit back into single digits at 22-14 for it to be followed up with an 13-2 spark by Emerson, topped off by Hill's jumper and score at 36-17.
- Through the remaining three minutes of the first half, Wentworth pieced together a late 9-2 run that chipped Emerson's cushion down to 12 at with the Lions' ahead 38-26 at the break.
- David rung off eight consecutive points to put Wentworth back in striking distance as her three at the 5:39 mark put the Leopards within eight at 44-36.
- Bushee's free throw kept Emerson up nine at 45-36, but Wentworth continued to chip away and struck again from downtown as Brooke Carolson canned a three followed up a layup from Amoddio. After Amoddio's trey, Emerson's once dominant lead was cut down to four at 45-41.
- Benson and Bruno tacked on five more points for the Lions to separate themselves by nine with 1:31 on the clock in the third. Bushee wrapped the Emerson scoring in the third with a layup with just over 10 seconds left as the Lions entered the fourth up nine at 53-43.
- Despite Wentworth narrowly outshooting Emerson, 42% to 41%, the Lions were able to hold on to snag the 71-64 win.
- Emerson kept Wentworth at a distance despite the Leopards closing within five on several occasions down the stretch, the first at 55-50 and the last coming at 65-60 with one minute left in the stanza.
- After Bushee converted a perfect trip to the line with the score sat at 69-61, Wentworth used its next possession to connect on a three to again put the Leopards within five at 69-64.
- Deslauriers put the game away at the stripe as Wentworth's final shot attempt went off the backboard with Gibbons collecting the final rebound before the buzzer sounded.
- Emerson has a quick turnaround on Thursday, November 10th with a trip up to Colby-Sawyer at 6:00 p.m.