Score: MIT 69, Emerson 59
Records: Emerson Lions (7-12, 3-3 NEWMAC) ; MIT Engineers (10-7, 5-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: February 5, 2022
The Lead: It was the sophomore duo of Olivia Deslauriers and Ella Bushee who led the Emerson women's basketball team with a season-best 19 and 18 points, respectively, but the Lions were upended by MIT, 69-59, on Saturday afternoon at Brown & Plofker Gym.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Christina Antonakakis: 18 points
Kylie Gallagher: 15 points & 13 rebounds
Paula Pieper: 11 points, nine assists & three steals
Annika Sougstad: three blocks
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the opening 10 minutes, Emerson connected on 46.7% of its shots from the parquet and came out of the frame down 19-18.
- After Antonakakis squared the game at 8-all, four points from Bushee and a jumper by Deslauriers pushed Emerson up six at 14-8 and were able to maintain the five-point edge on another bucket from Bushee.
- With 1:33 on the clock, Deslauriers sent up two free throws to give Emerson a three-point edge at 18-15, but Gallagher and Antonakakis took over for MIT and tallied the Engineer's final four points of the quarter.
- MIT held a seven-point advantage at 25-18 early on in the second, but junior Carla Pelino's jumper and freshman Bianca Benson's trifecta inched Emerson back within four at 27-23.
- Emerson closed the gap to a pair at the 2:19 mark after Pelino connected on another layup to put the score at 29-27. Benson banked another triple to bring Emerson within three with five ticks, but Pieper sent up a buzzer-beater three to give the Lions a six-point deficit at the half.
- Six straight points out the gate for MIT gave the Engineers its biggest lead of 12 at 42-30, but Emerson would not go away quietly. A quick 5-2 spurt that ended on a Deslauriers three pulled Emerson back within single digits at 46-37.
- Bushee's perfect trip to the line kept Emerson in single-digit reach at 48-39 and tallied four points through the final 2:48 of the third to trail MIT, 54-44, heading into the fourth.
- In the early minutes of the fourth, Deslauriers went coast-to-coast and turned an MIT turnover into what would become a five-point Emerson spurt to get Emerson back within five at 54-49.
- MIT answered Emerson's run on the other end with the quarter's next five points with four points from Antonakakis to put the Engineers up 13 at 65-52 with 4:09 on the clock.
- The visitors bumped their lead up to as much as 14 in the closing minutes of regulation as the Purple & Gold were held to within 10 with the final set at 69-59.
- Emerson heads out to Worcester on Wednesday, February 9th to face Clark in a NEWMAC clash at 7:00 p.m.