Score: Babson 69, Emerson 32
Records: Emerson Lions (7-11, 3-2 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (14-5, 5-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: February 2, 2022
The Lead: Sophomores Olivia Deslauriers and Ella Bushee led the Emerson women's basketball team with seven points apiece in the Lions' 69-32 setback to the Babson Beavers in NEWMAC women's basketball action on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Kelly Walsh: 18 points & three steals
Megan Bauman: 16 points
Kiara Simone Davis: seven assists
Rachel McMenemy & Samantha Smith: two blocks
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson got themselves on the board on a jumper from Bushee at 8:29 with the score at 3-2, which was the last basket the Lions would record for the next six minutes.
- From 8:29 until 2:36, the Lions were held scoreless while Babson bolstered their advantage with the quarter's next 16 points.
- Down 21-4 with 2:20 left in the first, the Lions were able to pot seven more points and bring the score to 28-11 at the frame's end.
- The second frame saw Emerson drop nine more points and were outscored 18-9 by Babson as the score sat at 40-26 going into the half.
- Between the 8:56 and 8:11 mark of the third, Bushee tallied Emerson's lone three points of the quarter and were outscored 13-3 through the third frame.
- The beginning of the fourth saw neither Babson nor Emerson find the bottom of the basket with the first bucket at 8:17 on a jumper by Meghan Goode. Several minutes later, sophomore Ava Salti drained a triple to break Emerson's scoring lull.
- After Salti's three-pointer, the Lions recorded the next eight of 12 points. Bruno's jumper at the 2:22 mark was the final Emerson basket as the score sat at 69-32.
- Emerson wraps its home stand on Saturday, February 5th as they welcome crosstown foe, MIT, for a 3:00 p.m. NEWMAC slate.