Score: Emerson 55, Wellesley 46
Records: Emerson Lions (7-9, 3-0 NEWMAC): Wellesley (3-11, 0-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Wellesley, Mass.
Date: January 26, 2022
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Ella Bushee: 16 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists
Olivia Deslauriers: 13 points, 2 rebounds
Carla Pelino: 11 points. 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks
Taylor Hirn: 15 points, 5 rebounds
Valentina Morakis: 12 points, 7 rebounds
Caitlin Windross: 9 points, 8 rebounds
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions jumped out to a quick 5-2 lead in the first quarter as Olivia Deslauriers drilled a jumper and a 3-pointer in the first three minutes of the game.
- Wellesley would answer with a 12-4 run throughout most of the first half until Ella Bushee knocked down a three to bring the Lions back within five points.
- Wellesley would pull away to their largest lead of the game with 2:41 remaining the first quarter when Caitlin Windross made a free throw to extend the lead to 14-5
- Ava Salti would open the second quarter for the Lions by drilling a three-pointer cutting Wellesley's lead to 16-13.
- The Lions stayed within striking distance during the second quarter as Ella Bushee contributed 7 of her game high16 points including a 3-ponter at the end of the quarter to the game at 27-27 going into halftime.
- The third quarter saw three lead changes with Wellesley pulling ahead by as many as 7 points. Olivia Deslauriers contributed 5 of her 13 points to help keep the Lions close and Quinn O'Connor would make two free throws with :14 remaining in the third quarter cutting Wellesley's lead to 40-35
- The Lions started the fourth quarter with an 11-0 run which included back-to-back buckets from Carla Pelino.
- The Lions would take the lead with 5:00 remaining in the game and never look back. Ella Bushee dropped in 6 more points to help propel Emerson to a 55-46 victory.
- Emerson stays on the road as they head to WPI on Saturday, January 29 at 4pm.