Score: Emerson Lions 69, Mount Holyoke 44
Records: Emerson Lions (4-9, 1-0 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke (3-10, 0-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, MA
Date: January 15, 2022
The Lead: Led by Ella Bushee's game-high 16 points, the Lions had four players in double figures as they push past Mount Holyoke to open their NEWMAC schedule on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Ella Bushee: 16 points, 6 rebounds
Chelsea Gibbons: 12 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists
Olivia Deslauriers: 13 points, 5 assists, 4 steals
Carla Pelino: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals
Marley Berano:15 points, 3 assists
Annika Brooks: 11 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists
Cal McGonagle: 8 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The tightly contested first half saw 8 lead changes as Mount Holyoke and Emerson traded baskets.
- Mount Holyoke took an 18-17 lead with 6:23 remaining in the first half when Marley Berano drilled a mid-range jumper. This would be the last lead for Mount Holyoke as Ella Bushee gave the Lions the lead back with 5:12 remaining in the first half.
- Mount Holyoke would tie the game at 23-23 with 2:23 remaining in the half before Emerson went on an 8-0 to end the half giving the Lions a 31-23 lead heading into the locker room.
- The Lions stayed hot into the second half as they extended their lead to 18 points when Carla Pelino sank a layup giving the Lions a 41-23 lead with 7:54 remaining in the third quarter.
- Emerson continued to stay hot in the fourth quarter shooting 60% from the field and 50% from behind the 3-point line.
- Olivia Deslauriers extended Emerson's lead to 21 with a layup at the 6:49 mark in the fourth quarter.
- Ella Bushee and Chelsea Gibbons would both chip in 6 fourth quarter points as the Lions would secure the victory 69-44.
- Emerson heads out on the road to face NEWMAC opponent Wheaton (MA) on Wednesday, January 19th at 6pm.