Score: George Fox 62, Emerson 52
Records: Emerson Lions (1-3) ; George Fox Bruins (2-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: November 14, 2021
The Lead: Sophomore Annika Herbert paced the Emerson women's basketball team on both sides of the ball, but it was not enough as the Lions were upended in their home opener against George Fox, 62-52, on Sunday afternoon at Brown & Plofker Gym.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Herbert: nine points, six rebounds, three assists & two steals
Ava Salti: two blocks
Cassidy Posey: 14 points
Emily Stephens: seven rebounds
Rebecca Welsh: two assists
Alyssa Wells: two steals
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson found early success on the perimeter in the first quarter and shot 55.7% beyond the arc to take the 14-9 advantage over George Fox after 10 minutes.
- Junior Carla Pelino and sophomore Olivia Deslauriers put Emerson up to a 6-0 lead after the duo each drained triples, but the Lions were not finished behind the arc. With the Lions already lead 6-1, sophomore Ella Bushee dropped back-to-back three's to extend the host's cushion to nine at 12-3 with five minutes left the in the first.
- An Emerson foul put George Fox on the line with Ella Roberts putting up all three shots to cut the Lions' lead in half at 3:27.
- The last baskets of the frame went to the Bruins at the free throw stripe as the first closed with Emerson ahead, 14-9.
- Emerson's accuracy beyond the perimeter continued into the beginning of the second with Salti and junior Chelsea Gibbons each tallying triples to put the Lions up 20-9 with 8:36 to play in the half.
- At 5:24, George Fox began to erase their double-figure deficit and had a 10-3 run put the Bruins within six at 25-19 with 1:32 left to play in the second.
- The Bruins closed the gap at the stripe to four at 25-21, but the Lions responded with a three from freshman Bianca Benson at the 19 second mark to put the hosts up 28-21 at the half.
- At 7:11 of the third, Emerson held a lead of four at 30-26 after Gibbons tallied both free throws, a pair of Bruins free throws and a triple by Wells put the visitors within one at 30-29. Emerson responded with the next four points to put their edge back at seven (36-29).
- Four points from Jenna Lacey were part of a 8-0 George Fox run that allowed the Bruins to gain their first lead at 37-36 to end the third.
- Now down by one, Herbert went to work and drew the and-one that locked up the game at 39-all at the 8:28 mark of the fourth. Over a minute later, the sophomore once again came in clutch as her triple put Emerson kept within one at 43-42.
- Salti had her shot from downtown at the 5:32 mark fall as the Lions continued to keep pace with the Bruins at 47-45.
- After Erin Yoshitake converted a pair of shots from the charity stripe, George Fox gained their first double-digit lead over Emerson with 57 ticks to go in regulation at 58-48.
- Emerson got two more baskets from freshman Devil Hill in the final 27 seconds as the Lions slipped to the Bruins 62-52.
- Emerson makes the quick turnaround on Tuesday, November 16th as their home stand continues against Brandeis at 7:30 p.m.