Score: Emerson 81, Gordon 58
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0) ; Gordon Fighting Scots (0-1)
Location: Wenham, Mass. (Kanas Court)
Date: November 6, 2021
The Lead: Led by freshman Devin Hill dropped 20 points followed by 11 points from sophomore Ava Salti, the Emerson women's basketball team started off their 2021 season in the win column with a 81-58 victory over Gordon on Saturday afternoon at Kanas Court.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Cara Andreotti: 17 points & five steals
Ami Rivera: 11 points & two assists
Madison Wynbeek: eight rebounds
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Gordon outscored Emerson 17-10 in the opening quarter with Pelino putting up five of the Lions' 10 points. With the score at 3-3, a layup by Andreotti began a 8-0 run that pushed the Fighting Scots to an 11-3 lead with 4:33 to play in the first.
- Kicked off by a triple from Salti, Emerson responded to the eight-point Gordon run with the next seven of nine points, capped off by a trey by Pelino, to close the gap to three at 13-10.
- Over the next 2:58, neither team put up points until Gordon used the charity stripe to add on four points through the remaining 25 ticks of the first to put the score at 17-10.
- Shooting 69.2% from the field and a perfect 4-for-4 from downtown, Emerson overpowered Gordon in the second quarter, 31-12, to enter halftime with the outright 41-29 advantage as Hill registered 10 points off the bench.
- Despite both teams putting up 14 points apiece in the third, it was Emerson who was able to maintain its steady double-figure lead at 55-43 as sophomore Olivia Deslauriers contributed five of the 14 Lions' point in the frame.
- The Emerson bench provided 19 of 26 points in the fourth, with Hill leading the pack with eight points, as the Lions wrapped the day going 9-for-14 shooting to close out the 81-58 victory.
- Emerson stays on the road to open its first week of the regular season as they head across the Boston Common to take on Suffolk on Tuesday, November 9th at 7:00 p.m.