Score: Emerson 46, Wheaton (Mass.) 44
Records: Emerson Lions (13-8, 4-3 NEWMAC) ; Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons (7-15, 1-5 NEWMAC)
Location: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
Date: Saturday, February 8, 2020
The Lead: It was the junior duo of Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) and Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) who paced the Emerson women's basketball team with 13 points and 10 points, respectively, to edge out the Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons, 46-44, on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Boyle (13) & Davey (10)
Assists: Davey (2)
Rebounds: Natalie Clydesdale (7)
Steals: Davey (2)
Blocks: Boyle (4)
Points: Mikayla Pucci (11)
Assists: Bri Forbes & Natalie Wind (2)
Rebounds: Forbes (10)
Steals: Forbes (3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trailing falling behind by a pair on several occasions through the beginning of the first quarter, a triple by junior Ashley Toner (Barnegat, N.J.) propelled Emerson ahead by one at 9-8.
- The Lions would not surrender its lead through the remainder of the frame and went on a 9-2 spurt to wrap the first with a five point edge at 15-10.
- A layup by Boyle at 7:30 of the second quarter pushed Emerson to its biggest lead of the game at six (17-11) only to have Pucci draw an and-one opportunity to pull the Lyons within three at 17-13.
- Over a minute of a scoring lull was broken up on Boyle's successful trip to the charity line with Emerson's lead at five (19-14), yet Wheaton never strayed far behind and kept within three behind a layup from Sara McLeman (19-16).
- The Lyons outscored the visiting Lions seven to two within the remaining 56 seconds of the half as Emerson wrapped the quarter down a pair after Alexis Romer canned a three with four seconds on the clock (23-21).
- The third quarter saw the teams go back and forth with lead changes with neither sides leading by more than a two point margin, but it was Emerson who came out on top at the end of the third when freshman Katie Beckmann (Sarasota, Fla.) knocked down a jumper (34-33).
- Shore sent up a layup just 14 seconds into the fourth and gave Wheaton a mere one-point lead (35-34), which would be the last lead the hosts would hold through regulation.
- Senior Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) took two trips to the free-throw line and cashed in four points to help extend Emerson's lead up to three (38-35) with just over eight minutes left.
- With Emerson hanging on to a tight one-point lead once again at 4:54, Davey answered on the other end with a key trey that gave the Lions the advantage by three (44-41).
- Two missed triples by Madden and Davey followed by a takeaway by Forbes turned into a three-point equalizer for Shore as the game was knotted at 44-all at the 1:17 mark.
- It was a foul by Wheaton with three ticks left that handed Emerson the win when Davey cashed in both free throws for the 46-44 lead and held on as Wind's potential game-winner just fell short.
- Emerson comes back home for its second to last NEWMAC home tilt of 2020 hosting MIT at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, February 12.
- Wheaton will also be in home NEWMAC play on Wednesday night when they host Babson at 8:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS