Score: Emerson 68, Smith 66
Records: Emerson Lions (10-5, 1-0 NEWMAC) ; Smith Pioneers (14-2, 0-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, January 18, 2020
The Lead: Paced by senior Natalie Clydesdale's (Pittsburgh, Penn.) 17 point showing and 16 more points added from both senior Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) and Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.), the Emerson women's basketball team edged past Smith, 68-66, for their first NEWMAC victory and fourth straight win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Clydesdale (17), Madden & Davey (16)
Assists: Clydesdale (4)
Rebounds: Clydesdale (9)
Steals: Davey (4)
Blocks: Sam Boyle (1)
Points: Amelia Clairmont (21), Dashelle Gleissner (13) & Katelyn Pickunka (10)
Assists: Gleissner (7)
Rebounds: Ashlyn Bohn (6)
Steals: Jessie Ruffner (5)
Blocks: Pickunka (2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Smith opened the first frame with a quick 4-0 lead behind back-to-back layups by Ruffner and Gleissner only to have Emerson answer on the other end that started with Davey's triple and a trey from Clydesdale that pushed the Lions in front (5-4).
- The Lions fell behind three (12-9) after Pickunka put up a layup, but strength beyond the arc showed as Madden knocked down a three to even the game at 12-all with 4:05 to go in the quarter.
- Leads flip flopped between the two teams until Smith dropped four points in to pull ahead of Emerson by five at the 53 second mark (20-15) before Clydesdale sent up a last second jumper to put the score at 20-17 to wrap the first.
- After taking a quick two-point edge on Madden's bucket, Smith pieced together an 8-0 spurt that included three's by Ruffner and Bohn to bump the Pioneers to a six-point advantage (30-24).
- A pair of Emerson buckets gave the Lions a two-point lead with 51 ticks on the clock as Smith cashed in a buzzer-beating bucket from downtown to even the score at the half (33-33).
- Emerson kept Smith off the boards and embarked on an 11-2 streak capped off by Davey's trip to the charity stripe to extend the host's lead up to seven (44-37).
- Smith charged back and regained a one-point lead on Clairmont's triple at the 1:20 mark, holding Emerson to a four-point deficit with nine seconds on the clock before Clydesdale canned a three at the buzzer to wrap the third (50-49).
- At 8:05, Madden sent up a three-point basket that kicked off three consecutive triples from both Clydesdale and junior Ashley Toner (Barnegat, N.J.) as Emerson build a six-point advantage over Smith (60-54).
- Smith stayed within distance and cashed in a three on its end to stay within three, yet Emerson was able to rebuild a seven-point cushion with 3:21 to go in the fourth (64-57).
- Clairmont kept Smith in the game and nailed two consecutive shots to put the Pioneers within one on two critical occasions, once at 64-63 and again at 67-66.
- Davey spoiled Smith's chance at a game-winner and turned a Clairmont turnover in Smith's end into the game-winning free throw as the game was sealed at 68-66.
- Emerson continues on with NEWMAC play down at Brown hosting Mount Holyoke on Wednesday, January 22 at 7:30 p.m.
- Smith are also in conference play on Wednesday with a matchup out at MIT at 6:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS