Score: Emerson 59, Suffolk 53
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0) ; Suffolk Rams (1-2)
Date: Tuesday, November 12, 2019
Location: Boston, Mass. (Smith Court)
The Lead: Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) notched 14 points in her season debut while Ashley Toner (Barnegat, N.J.) added 12, with both players shooting 50% from the floor. Kailee Yan (Mercer Island, Wash.) contributed 10 points off of the bench, helping the Lions earn the victory over the Rams in the battle of the two Boston Common schools.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Sam Boyle - 14 points, 2 Steals, 2 Blocks
Natalie Clydesdale - 7 Points, 8 Rebounds, 4 Steaels, 3 Assists
Quinn Madden - 9 Points, 5 rebounds, 1 Block
Ashley Toner - 12 points, 4 Rebounds, 2 Assists
Team - 39.3% shooting, 33 Rebounds, 10 Steals, 3 Blocks
Gabriella DeComo - 16 Points, 4 Rebonds, 1 Assist, 1 Steal, 1 Block
Jenni-Rose DeCecco - 13 Points, 9 Rebounds, 7 Assists, 2 Steals
Jordan Hipwell - 10 POints, 7 Rebounds
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson opened up with a 5-2 lead behind a three-pointer and two-pointer from Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) After the teams traded point, the Lions and Rams found themselves knotted at 15 with just over a minute remaining in the first quarter. A Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburg, Penn.) three with 0:51 remaining in the frame gave the Lions an 18-15 lead which they took into the first break.
- Suffolk scored the first four points of the second period to take a one-point lead at 19-18, behind a Jenni-Rose DiCecco three-pointer. Emerson came right back and took a one-point lead at 26-25. A three-pointer from Yan and a Boyle layup gave the Lions a 31-25 lead heading into halftime.
- Emerson opened up wit the first points of the third quarter on a Toner jump shot, but the Rams rattled off an 8-2 run to cut the lead to 35-33. The teams traded baskets to close out the quarter with Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) hitting a jumper to give the Lions a 41-35 lead heading into the final frame.
- Clydesdale opened the frame with a layup, with Toner hitting a three-pointer just a short time later to extend the Emerson lead to nine at 48-39. The Lions extended their lead to twelve after another Toner basket that followed a free throw for the rams, with Emerson leading 54-42 with just over four minutes remaining. Suffolk went on an 8-2 run from here and cut the lead to six with 40 ticks remaining, but Emerson hit their free throws and closed out the game with a final score of 59-53.
- The Lions welcome the Gordon Fighting Scots to the Brown & Plofker Gym for their home opener starting at 7:00pm on Thursday, November 14th.