Score: Emerson 61, WPI 55
Records: Emerson Lions (16-8, 10-5 NEWMAC) ; WPI Engineers (10-13, 5-10 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, February 9, 2019
The Lead: Led by 18 points from senior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) followed by an additional 12 from junior Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.), the Emerson women's basketball team fought its way to a fifth straight conference victory in a 61-55 win over WPI on Wednesday night.
Prior to today's contest, head coach Bill Gould and assistant coach Shannon Norton recognized its pair of seniors in Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) and C. Boyle for their dedication to the Emerson women's basketball program throughout their collegiate careers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- C. Boyle led all scorers with 18 points on 7-of-13 and 4-of-5 from the free throw line with Madden joining in with 12 points, seven rebounds, five assists and two steals.
- Junior Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.) led the reserves with eight points off the bench along with eight boards and two steals.
- Victoria Mirecki anchored WPI with 13 points and completed a double-double with 11 rebounds, while Caitlin Boermeester added 12 points.
- Emerson finished shooting 44.4% from the floor (23-of-52) and drained 42.9% on the perimeter, while WPI converted 39.2% (20-of-51).
- The Lions turned 17 Engineers turnovers into 14 points as the visitors beat the hosts on the glass, 35-29.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams kept off the boards through the first two and a half minutes until sophomore Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) sent up the game's first basket at 7:18 to give Emerson a 2-0 lead.
- After squaring the game at two apiece on Spencer Vinson's layup, Emerson answered with a 6-0 spurt push its lead to six (6-2) before wrapping the first frame at the line with a seven-point advantage (12-5).
- Two minutes deep into the second stanza, WPI started a 7-2 run capped off by a trey from Bailey Savage as Emerson's lead was erased down to two (14-12).
- A jumper from Madden extended the Lions' lead to nine, its largest of the half, at the 3:23 mark and entered the locker room holding an eight-point 27-19 lead.
- WPI connected on its first five shots out the gate of the half to gain its first lead of the game at 30-29 after Boermeester canned a triple at 6:59 only to see Emerson go up three on Busch's free throw (33-30).
- Within in the midst of the frame, the lead went back and forth between Emerson and WPI holding three point edges as the game one evened at 41-all after sophomore Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) knocked down a three-point bucket.
- The visitors bumped to its biggest lead on a quick 4-0 run on Alex Scariati's three at 7:12 before junior Clydesdale answered on the other end with a triple of her own to kickstart an 11-2 Emerson streak and the Lions' advantage moved to seven (54-47).
- Another triple from Scariati kept the Engineers within a pair (57-55) before Emerson took to the free line to seal the 61-55 victory.
- Emerson makes their way over to Mount Holyoke for its final regular season matchup on Saturday, February 16 at 1:00 p.m.
- WPI returns home for its last game of the season on the same date at 3:00 p.m. hosting Babson.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS