Score: Emerson 82, Lasell 49
Records: Emerson Lions (6-3, 2-1 NEWMAC) ; Lasell Lasers (4-6, 0-0 GNAC)
Location: Newton, Mass. (Athletic Center)
Date: Thursday, December 6, 2018
The Lead: A game best 24 points on 11-of-13 attempts by senior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) pushed the Emerson women's basketball team back into the win column in a 82-49 rout over Lasell that also saw double figure showings from senior Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) and junior Kate Foultz (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) on Thursday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- C. Boyle led all scorers with 24 points on 11-of-13 shots and was 2-of-2 at the free throw line and also pulled down four boards and one assist.
- Busch dropped 6-of-12, including 4-of-5 coming beyond the arc, for 16 points as she and sophomore Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) both registered nine rebounds and six assists with Boyle adding three blocks to her stat line.
- Foultz paced the reserves with 13 points with a strong 4-of-5 effort from the perimeter alongside four rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Leading the way for Lasell was Amanda Ortiz, who dished 17 points and 7-of-8 at the free throw line with five rebounds, five steals and two blocks and both Liz Bougie and Imani Bumpus handing out two assists.
- Emerson shot 47.8% from the field with a heavy 45.5% of its points coming from long distance to go with a 61.5% showing at the free throw stripe.
- The Lions dominated on the glass (51-28) and were able to turn 16 Lasers turnovers into 22 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was at a three-point margin midway through the first stanza (8-5) before Emerson managed to break out a 11-5 run over the next five minutes to take a 19-10 advantage.
- Emerson put up the second quarter's first seven points and extended its lead into double digits at 16 (26-10).
- Lasell was able to whittle to deficit back down into single digits after a pair of free throws by Peyton Young with 3:25 on the clock, but the visitors were able to outscore the Lasers 11-1 to wrap the half (44-25).
- A 19-point Emerson lead was extended within the third frame and powered out 18 more points thanks to an overpowering 53.8% field goal percentage (62-36).
- The Lions' strong presence on the perimeter carried all the way into the fourth quarter as Foultz banked two the visitors' three triples to roll the visitors to the 82-49 victory.
- Emerson heads home for the final time of 2018 on Saturday, December 8 hosting Smith at 1:00 p.m.
- Lasell plays host for one last time before holiday break against Northern Vermont-Lyndon at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 15.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS