Game One Score: Emerson 8, Smith 5
Game Two Score: Smith 3, Emerson 1
Game One Pitching Decision: W - Calli Pratt (7-3) ; L - Lucy Helms (7-6)
Game Two Pitching Decision: W - Lucy Helms (8-6) ; L - Karagan Knowles (1-6)
Records: Emerson Lions (17-18, 4-13 NEWMAC) ; Smith Pioneers (12-22, 6-11 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: April 30, 2022
The Lead: The Emerson softball team took a split on Senior Day with Smith on Saturday afternoon down at Rotch Field. In game one, sophomore Claire Overton registered a game-high four RBIs to lead Emerson to the 8-5 victory. Smith snagged the game two win by the score of 3-1.
In between today's contests, Emerson softball head coach Phil McElroy honored his graduating class of 2022, consisting of seven seniors, for their dedication and hard work through their collegiate careers. The Class of 2022 includes Lexi Semanchik, Knowles, Sophia Cloonan, Mary Kuczkowski, Rebekah Czukoski, Pratt and Mallory Shofi.
GAME ONE: Emerson 8, Smith 5
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Semanchik: 3-4, double, two runs scored
Makenzie Killough: 1-2, one run scored, RBI
Claire Overton: 2-3, double, one run scored, four RBIs
Sam Zannoti: 1-3, stolen base, one RBI
Kuczkowski: 1-4, one run scored, double, RBI
Pratt: 2-3, two runs scored
Shofi: 2-3, two doubles, one run scored, RBI
PITCHING: Calli Pratt (W, 7-3) - six innings pitched, seven hits, five runs (four earned), six walks & 10 strikeouts
Jessica Gomez - one inning pitched, one hit & two strikeouts
Molly Taketa: 1-3, home run, three RBIs
Piper Corey: 2-4
Taylor Ang: 2-4, one run scored
Madison Swain: 1-2, RBI
Kaitlen Beals: 2-2, one run scored, RBI
PITCHING: Lucy Helm (L, 7-6) - three hits, four runs & one walk
Abby Fletcher - six innings pitched, 10 hits, four runs, one walk & two strikeouts
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Right out the gate, Taketa gave Smith the early 1-0 lead in the top of the first when she took Pratt yard over the fence in right center.
- Emerson used their portion of the first to do damage and barreled five hits for five runs to claim the 5-1 advantage.
- With the bags full of Lions and no outs, an RBI two-bagger driven into the left center gap from Overton cleared the bases to push the hosts up on top, 3-1.
- Kuczkowski and Shofi extended Emerson's inning with back-to-back RBI doubles and gave Emerson the four-run lead at 5-1.
- Overton pushed one more Emerson run across in the second frame when she sent a sacrifice fly into left to bump the Lions' cushion to 6-1.
- Smith threatened in the top of the third with the bases juiced and one out, but Pratt settled and fanned the next pair of Pioneers' batters to escape the inning with Emerson's lead in tact.
- After Shofi roped a double down the left field line, she came around to plate the seventh Emerson run when Zannotti smacked an RBI single to right to put the score at 7-1 after three.
- Taketa's grounder to the pitcher followed by Corey's RBI single up the middle crossed two runs for Smith in the top of the fourth to cut into Emerson's lead at 7-3.
- In Smith's half of the sixth, they once again threatened with the bases packed with two outs, but a key pop up catch by Killough at short kept the score at 7-3.
- Emerson tacked one more on in the bottom of the sixth on a sacrifice fly that Killough sent into left to plate Pratt as the Lions' moved the score to 8-3.
- Smith, who loaded the bases up for the third time, pushed a pair of runs across in the top of the seventh behind Beals' RBI infield single and Taketa's sacrifice fly to move the score to 8-5.
- With a runner still standing at third and two outs, Gomez caught Corey looking and held down the 8-5 win for the hosts.
GAME TWO: Smith 3, Emerson 1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Overton: 1-3, RBI
PITCHING: Karagan Knowles (1-6) - seven innings pitched, six hits, three runs, two walks & seven strikeouts
Taylor Ang: 2-3, one run scored, RBI
Molly Taketa: 2-4, two doubles, RBI
Eryn Lee: 1-3
Kaitlen Beals: 1-3, one run scored, triple, RBI
PITCHING: Lucy Helms (7-6) - seven innings, four hits, one run, four walks & seven strikeouts
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After four innings passed with no score, Smith pushed two runs across in the top of the fourth to take the 2-0 edge.
- Beals began the inning with an RBI three-bagger into right to bring in first Pioneers' run and was followed with Taketa's double into right that brought in Beals.
- Emerson had their biggest scoring opportunity in the home half of the seventh inning with the bases full of Lions. With runners on every base, Overton drew the two-out walk to plate Shofi to move the score to 3-1. In the next at-bat, Kuczkowski sent a grounder to second as the Lions slipped to the Pioneers, 3-1.