Scores: Game 1: Emerson 11, Simmons3
Game 2: Emerson 4, Simmons 12
Pitching Decisions: Game 1: W: Neely Eddleston (3-2) l L Hailey Yabroudy (0-4)
Game 2: W: Maddie Castigliego l L: Karragan Knowles (1-2)
Records: Emerson College (5-5); Simmons University (3-9)
Location: Boston, Mass (Rotch Field)
Date: Friday, March 15, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson College Softball team took a split from the Simmons Sharks on Friday, winning game one 11-3 in five innings.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Neely Eddleston earned the win in game 1 for the Lions, going four innings, allowing three runs, and striking out one batter.
- Maddie Castigliego earned the win for Simmons in game two, pitching all eight inning and only allowing six hits.
- Between the two games, Marisa DeFranco scored had two hits, three RBIs, and scored two runs.
- Lindsey Lowe hit one home run, had two RBIs, and scored two runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Simmons earned the first run of the game in the top of the first inning on a single by Shannon McMahon, bringing home Lauren Del Vacchio.
- The Lions responded in the bottom half of the frame, knotting the score at one on a Calli Pratt single which brought home Lexi Semanchik.
- An Alena Jones single following Pratt brought home Kallista Leonardos and Lindsey Lowe, giving Emerson the 3-1 lead.
- In the top half of the second frame, Dom Ortiz launched a home run to left field, bringing home Marissa Santoro and tying the game at three a piece.
- Emerson took the lead back right away, with Marisa DeFranco scoring on an error in the bottom of the seventh, with Emerson leading 4-3.
- After a quick inning for Simmons, Emerson extended their lead in the bottom of the third. After loading the bases, a Morgan Mitchell walk brought home Pratt. A DeFranco walk following Mitchell brought home Jones and Emerson took a 6-3 lead.
- Semanchik singles to left field, driving home Maddie Tomich and keeping the bases loaded.
- Mitchell scored on a wild pitch, before a pair of doubles from Leonardos and Lowe brought home three more runs, giving Emerson the 8 run lead at 11-3.
- The eight run rule was initiated after Karagan KNowles came in to close out the game, giving Emerson the 11-3 victory in game one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson struck first in the bottom of the first inning on a Lowe single that brought home Semanchik.
- Simmons tacked on three runs in the top of the second inning, headlined by a Del Vacchio single which brought home the third run.
- The Lions tied it back up in the bottom half on a DeFranco single to bring home two runners.
- Lowe homered in the bottom of the third inning, giving Emerson the lead again at 4-3.
- After Simmons tied the game in the fifth inning, the game went to extra innings.
- In the top of the eighth inning, the Sharks tacked on eight runs, taking a 12-4 lead.
- Emerson was unable to overcome the dficit, taking the split on the day.
- The Lions get back in action on Saturday, taking on the Wentworth Leopards at 1:00pm at Rotch Field.