Overall: 8-2 (1-1 NEWMAC)
Scoreboard: Emerson 9, WPI 8 | Boston, Mass. | March 24, 2018
WPI 9, Emerson 5 | Boston, Mass. | March 24, 2018
BOSTON - Fresh off its home opening and NEWMAC opening twin bill this past Saturday against WPI, the Emerson softball team enters a week packed of home contests with a pair of non conference doubleheaders and a pair of conference matchups. Emerson starts the week off on Tuesday with a meeting against Lesley at 3 & 5 p.m. followed by another out of conference matchup in a rescheduled set against Emmanuel (Mass.) on Wednesday at 5 & 7 p.m. The second half of the week sees the Lions welcoming in Wellesley for a pair on Friday at 2 & 4 p.m. before closing the week out against Springfield at 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
A LOOK BACK AT SATURDAY
- Emerson took to Rotch for the first time on Saturday afternoon in its conference opening doubleheader against WPI and took the 1-1 split with the Engineers.
- A 3-for-5 effort at the plate by sophomore Marisa DeFranco (Falls Church, Va.) and a pair of RBIs from the bat of junior Kallista Leonardos (El Granada, Calif.), the Lions forged a 9-8 comeback victory over the Engineers to begin the day.
- The second game of the doubleheader saw WPI scrape up a 9-5 win over Emerson.
EMERSON REPRESENTING IN THE NEWMAC
- The Lions have seven players on its roster who sits within the top-10 in NEWMAC rankings including DeFranco, Leonardos, sophomore Micaela Dix (White House Station, N.J.), senior Jacqueline DeFusco (East Greenwich, R.I.), freshman Maddie Tomich (Lithia, Fl.), freshman Neely Eddleston (Wareham, Mass.) and senior Casey Tsamis (Colchester, Conn.)
- Leonardos sits in the top 10 of three of the NEWMAC's hitting categories with her 13 RBIs (T 7th), two home runs (T 3rd) and six extra base hits (T 3rd).
- Dix, Tomich and DeFusco all follow Leonardos in the home run category and share a three-way tie in the ninth spot, while DeFranco sits seventh with a .483 batting average.
- Tomich also leads on the base paths for Emerson tied for ninth with four stolen bases.
- In the pitcher's circle, Eddleston continues to make a name for herself tied with a NEWMAC best six wins and ranks 10th with a 3.10 earned run average.
- Tsamis is currently tied in the second spot with one save.
SCOUTING THE LYNX
- Emerson's first non conference slate comes against the Lesley Lynx, who through 10 games hold a 7-3 overall record with a 1-0 record in the NECC.
- As a team, Lesley has batted .346 to go along with a .401 on base percentage and .505 slugging percentage and has plated 66 total runs.
- The Lynx's most recent win came back on Saturday in its NECC opening pair of games where they topped Simmons 4-2 and 9-0.
- Jordan Day powers the Lesley bats with a batting average of .613 to match a .657 on base percentage and 1.129 slugging percentage, along with 19 hits and 12 RBIs.
- On the bags, Courney Goggin leads the Lynx with a trio of stolen bases.
- Day also leads Lesley in the pitcher's circle as well with a 6-2 overall record within nine appearances and 52.1 innings pitched having allowed 28 runs (21 earned) on 49 hits, 31 walks and 67 strikeouts on a 2.71 ERA.
- March 20, 2017 was the last time Lesley and Emerson met and had the Lions come out with the doubleheader sweep with a 4-2 win followed by a six inning 11-2 victory.
SCOUTING THE SAINTS
- Emmanuel (Mass.) makes it way across town with a record of 6-5 and 1-1 in the GNAC after opening its conference schedule this past Saturday where they recorded a split with Simmons.
- Having racked up a .310 batting average during its first 11 games, the Saints have also recorded a .358 on base percentage and .391 slugging percentage with two home runs and 54 runs.
- Olivia Burgos anchors Emmanuel (Mass.) in both the batter's box and on the mound with a team-leading .429 batting average, .432 on base percentage, .457 slugging percentage, four stolen bases, seven runs and 15 hits.
- Burgos also holds a 2-1 record on the mound for the Saints through 15.0 innings pitched with two earned runs, three walks, eight strikeouts and a .93 ERA.
- Megan Kieselback holds a 3-3 overall record in 38.1 innings and has allowed 17 runs to cross on 32 hits, seven walks, 32 strikeouts and holds an ERA of 1.64.
- Rounding out the Saints pitching is Mikaela Montemagni, who posts a record of 1-1 through four appearances and has surrendered 11 runs on 14 hits to go along with a 1.85 ERA on nine strikeouts.
- Emmanuel and Emerson's last meeting on the diamond dates back to March 6, 2016 that saw the Lions take the 3-1 win.
SCOUTING THE BLUE
- Wellesley will be Emerson's second NEWMAC test as the Blue enter Wednesday's contest holding a record of 1-5.
- The Blue are coming off a doubleheader split down in Clermont, Florida where they earned a 6-2 win over Colby before being topped 10-2 in six innings by Wis.-Whitewater on March 25.
- Wellesley has plated 17 runs through six games with a team batting average of .258 to match an on base percentage of .331 and slugging percentage of .310.
- With a .369 batting average, Gen Brittingham also leads the Blue at the plate with a .400 on base percentage, seven hits and three RBIs, while Kendall Smith has a .444 slugging percentage along with three RBIs and Amanda Kim has plated three runs with two stolen bases.
- Holding an 0-1 record in three appearances is Madeline Bianchi, who has allowed 13 runs on 22 hits through 13.1 innings pitched with two walks, one strikeouts and an ERA of 6.46.
- Julia Warner posts a 1-2 overall record in four games having surrendered 17 hits and allowed 12 runs to plate with four walks and 12 strikeouts on a 4.97 ERA.
- Wellesley topped Emerson in its meeting back on April 12, 2017 with a 12-4 win followed by an 11-2 win.
SCOUTING THE PRIDE
- 12 games deep into their 2018 schedule, Springfield posts an overall record of 10-2 with its most recent victory coming in a twin-bill split vs. Eastern Connecticut State this past Saturday afternoon.
- As a team, the Pride have registered 69 runs on a .367 batting average to match a .513 slugging percentage and .414 on base percentage.
- Kristen Drobiak, named the NEWMAC Softball Athlete of the Week this past week, paces Springfield with a .511 batting average through 12 games on 12 RBIs and six home runs.
- Carianna Casdia leads the Pride on the base paths with eight stolen bases.
- Leading the Prides' pitching is Talia Loda, who has put up a 1.58 ERA on a 6-1 record (one save) where she has pitched 48.2 innings having allowed 12 runs on 43 hits, seven walks and has fanned 44 batters.
- Springfield swept Emerson in its slate back on April 2, 2017 and picked up a 7-1 win and a 10-1 five inning win.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS