Score: Emerson 3, Dean 0 (25-14, 25-11, 25-9)
Records: Emerson Lions (4-15, 2-8 GNAC) ; Dean Bulldogs (1-17, 0-10 GNAC)
Location: Franklin, Mass. (Pieri Gymnasium)
Date: March 24, 2022
The Lead: A double-double showing of 17 kills and 11 digs from sophomore Neiko Pittman propelled the Emerson men's volleyball team into the win column with the three-set sweep over Dean in GNAC action on Thursday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Rodrigo Monteiro: five kills
Tyler Martins: 11 assists & one ace
Nicholas Carlson: one ace
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson came out swinging in the first set as the Lions recorded a .500 hit percentage to take the 25-14 win.
- Emerson led by as much as three to begin the first at 5-2 before Dean locked the score up twice before the Bulldogs took their first lead at 7-6. The Lions tied the game back up at 7-all and tacked on three more points to go up three and would go on to hold the outright lead for the remainder of the set.
- A kill from Monteiro brought Dean back within a pair at 10-8, which is the closest the hosts would come to Emerson. The Lions rolled through the rest of the frame and locked the 25-14 win on a 15-6 streak.
- Up eight at 10-2 in the beginning of the second, Emerson put the next five of eight points to extend their lead into double-figures at 15-5. The visitors held the 10+ point lead until a 5-1 run by the Bulldogs moved their deficit to seven at 18-11.
- Seven is the closest Dean would come to closing in on Emerson as the Lions tallied seven of the last eight points to wrap the second set, 25-11.
- The Lions used a .238 hit percentage in the third and recorded 11 kills on 21 total attacks to roll past the Bulldogs, 25-9, for the sweep.
- Emerson enters GNAC tri-match play on Saturday out at Wentworth to take on the Leopards and Colby-Sawyer at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.