Score: Match One: Nichols 3, Emerson 1
Match Two: Emerson 3, Northern Vermont-Johnson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (3-3), Nichols Bison (6-4), NVU-Johnson Badgers (4-5)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, February 15rth, 2020
The Lead: The Emerson Men's Volleyball team played a pair of home matches on Sunday, taking down the Northern Vermont Johnson Badgers in four sets behind 15 kills from Junior Samuel Willinger (Golden Beach, Fla.) and fell to the Nichols Bison in four sets despite 11 kills from freshman Parker Gray (Los Angeles, Calif.).
Match One: Nichols 3, Emerson 1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Kills: Ray Wang (15), Lance Law (12)
Assists: Kevin Keohane (23)
Digs: Oscar Chavez (8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson and Nichols opened up trading points, with the Lions taking a two point lead early at 5-3. Nichols went on a 15-3 run, taking a commanding 19-8 lead early in the first set and putting Emerson in a hole. Emerson battled but fell to the Bison 25-12 in the first set.
- The second set started with Emerson and Nichols Trading points, with the Biston taking a 5-3 lead. This time, Emerson went on a 14-4 run, taking a 17-9 lead behind the serves of Willinger, Darress, and Gray. Nichols tried to battled back but a kill from Josh Elliot (Swedesboro, N.J.) and a service ace from Daress capped off a 4-0 run to close out the set, 25-17.
- The third set saw the Lions and Bison split the first 14 points, with kills from Willinger, Darress and Matt Connolly (Haverhill, Mass.) for the Lions. Nichols scored the next six points, but the Lions cut the lead back down to four at 14-10. Emerson was unable to overcome the deficit, with Nichols taking the third set 25-17.
- The fourth set saw Nichols take an 8-6 lead before rattling off a 6-2 run to open up their lead to six at 14-8. Emerson fought back, cutting the lead to five multiple times, but fell to the Bison 25-16 in the fourth set, marking the loss of the match 3-1.
Match Two: Emerson 3, UNV-Johnson 1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Kills: Willinger (15), Gray (10)
Assists: Raagas (30)
Digs: Darress (9), Willinger (8)
Aces: Connolly (4)
Kills: Ryan Willette (10)
Assists: Jason Madrid (19)
Digs: Wyatt Moberg (13)
Aces: Madrid (3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trading the first two points to start the match, Emerson went on a 6-0 run behind the serve of Elliot, who had two aces in the run. The Badgers fought back and cut the Lions lead to two at 12-10, but Emerson went on a 7-0 run this time, behind the serve of Gray to take a commanding 19-10 lead. Emerson closed out the Badgers behind kills from Darress and Gray, taking the first set 25-14.
- In the second set, the teams traded the first two points again, but Matt Connolly took the serve and scored three service aces in a 9-0 run for Emerson, giving the Lions a 10-1 lead. The Lions maintained their lead throughout the set, keeping the Badgers at bay and taking the set by the same score of the first set, 25-14.
- The third set was highly contested, with the teams splitting the first 26 points, and were knotted at 13 halfway through the frame. UNV-Johnson rattled off three straight points, and 6 of 8 to take a 19-15 lead. The Lions continued to battle, with kills from Willinger and Gray, but fell to the Badgers 25-20 in the third set.
- The final set saw Emerson and UNV-Johnson knotted at 8 after the first 16 points. Lucas Raagas took the serve, and the Lions rattled off six straight points to take a 14-8 lead. The badger scored the next five, cutting the Lions lead to one, but Emerson rallied and took the next five points, restoring their six point edge. Emerson closed out the set by that same difference, 25-19, and took the match 3-1.
- Emerson will play its' first conference match on Thursday, welcoming the Wentworth Leopards to the Brown & Plofker Gym at 7:00pm.