Score: Eastern Nazarene 3, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (2-3) l Eastern Nazarene Lions (8-3)
Location: Quincy, Mass. (Lahue Physical Education Center)
Date: Tuesday, February 6th, 2020
The Lead: A hard-fought battle between Emerson and Eastern Nazarene saw the Lions of Eastern Nazarene emerge victorious over Emerson in four sets, despite a double-double from Samuel Willinger (Golden Beach, Fla.) with 14 kills and 12 digs.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Kills: Willinger (14), Gray (9)
Assists: Raagas (33)
Digs: Raagas (13), Willinger (12), Gray (12), Elliot (10)
Kills: Soler (22), Eddinger (15)
Assists: Jenkins (39)
Digs: Miller (18), Eddings (16)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was tightly contested, with both teams splitting the first 120 points to be knotted at 10. The Lions went on a 5-1 run, taking a 15-11 lead behind the service of Matt Connolly (Haverhill, Mass.) and eventually lead 16-13. Eastern Nazarene rattled off seven straight points to take a 20-16 lead, but Emerson responded with three straight to cut the lead to one. Eastern Nazarene was able to close out the set 25-21, taking a 1-0 lead.
- The second set was another tight battle, with neither team leading by more than three throughout the majority of the set. Eastern nAzarene gained at three point lead at 16-13, and held the lead to 18-15. Emerson closed the gap, cutting the lead to one on a Willinger kill at 19-18, but Eastern Nazarene scored the next six points to take the set 25-18 and a lead in the match 2-0.
- The third set saw Eastern Nazarene take an early five point lead at 11-6, and hold their lead until 17-12, forcing Emerson to use both ether timeouts along the way. Emerson took thee serve, and took four straight points, tying the score and keeping it knotted throughout the remainder of the set. With the score tied at 23 apiece, Parker Gray (Los Angeles, Calif.) scored two straight kills for Emerson to take the set for Emerson 25-23, and cutting the lead to 2-1.
- The final set saw both teams old small leads, but neither team took a lead bigger than three throughout the majority of the set. The Lions held a 20-17 lead following a kill from Josh Elliot (Swedesboro, N.J.). Eastern Nazarene scored five straight points, taking a 22-20 lead, and closed out the rest on a 3-1 run to defeat the Lions 25-21, and win the match 3-1.
- Emerson gets back in action next Tuesday when they take on the Dean Bulldogs, who the Lions defeated at home 3-0 already this season.