Men's Soccer vs. Lesley Lynx (2-5-2, 2-1 NEWMAC)
13th Annual Charles River Cup
Wednesday, October 10, 2018
7:00 P.M. | Rotch Field
Men's Soccer vs. Springfield
Saturday, October 13, 2018
1:00 p.m. | Rotch Field
LOOKING BACK ON THE WEEK
- In its three games last week, Emerson finished the week out 1-2 with their overall now standing at 3-8 and 1-3 in the NEWMAC.
- The week began last Monday night in a 3-0 win over Eastern Nazarene where freshman Avery Niles (Denver, Col.) netted his first collegiate goal along with a brace by senior Paul Bou Aziz (Nice, France).
- On Saturday, the Lions traveled to Babson where they shouldered a tough 1-0 overtime loss to the Beavers before dropping a 3-0 contest to Bates on Sunday afternoon.
LIONS IN THE NEWMAC
- Junior Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) paces the Lions with four goals through 12 games and sits tied for sixth in the conference as well as fifth with 31 shots.
- Sophomore goalie David Kemp (London, England) takes the second spot among NEWMAC goalies having stopped 47 shots on target.
NILES NAMED LION OF THE WEEK
- The freshman midfielder garnered the coveted Lion of the Week honor for competition ranging from October 1 to October 8 after his first collegiate goal was the game winner in a 3-0 win over Eastern Nazarene last Monday night.
BRINGING HOME THE CUP
- Wednesday's Charles River Cup game will be the 13th meeting between Emerson and Lesley with the Lions holding the 6-5-1 all time series lead.
- Last year's matchup saw Lesley take the 2-1 victory back on September 27, 2017 at Emerson on goals by Anthony Vitta and Carter Bliss and the Lions' goal coming from Faucette.
- Emerson captured its sixth win in the series on September 15, 2016 in a 1-0 triumph at Lesley.
A LOOK AT THE LYNX
- Coming off a 2-1 overtime setback to Elms on Saturday, Lesley posts an overall record of 2-5-2 with a 2-1 showing in the NECC.
- Lesley averages 1.22 goals per game with 11 goals through nine games to go with a shot percentage of .133 on 9.2 shots a game and allow opponents to 1.05 goals.
- The Lynx have struggled at home in a young 2018 season and hold an 0-3 record at Franke Field.
- Last season saw Lesley finish 9-8-2 and 5-2 in the NECC after a trip to the NECC semifinals where the Lynx drew a 0-0 penalty kick tie with Elms College.
- There are four Lynx on Lesley's roster with four goals apiece for four points while Carter Bliss leads the team with one assist.
- Patrick Corcoan (2–2-1) has allowed four goals for a .76 goals against average in five starts to go along with a .892 save percentage on 33 stops.
- David Crutchfield (0-3-1) posts a .860 save percentage on 37 saves through 383+ minutes and a 1.41 goals against average having allowed six goals.
SCOUTING THE PRIDE
- Springfield has picked up wins in its last four straight, including its most recent 3-1 win over MIT on Saturday, to hold its overall record at 9-3 and 3-1 in the NEWMAC through 12 games.
- The Pride have found the back of the net 18 times averaging 1.50 goals per game on 16.5 shots and hold opponents to a mere .74 goals.
- The reigning NEWMAC Champions advanced to the second round of the NCAA DIII Tournament in 2017 where they suffered a 1-1 penalty kick loss to Amherst as their record stood at 15-1-3 and 5-1-1 in the conference.
- In the last meeting between Springfield and Emerson, the Pride blanked the Lions in a 5-0 shutout back on October 14, 2017.
- The Pride currently hold the 5-0 all time series lead in a series where the Lions have been held scoreless in each contest.
- With five goals and two assists to his name, Brad Deckel powers the Springfield offense with 12 points and is followed by Joseph Olaynack, who has a team-leading three helpers.
- Stewart Frank has manned the goal for Springfield in all 12 games (8-3) with five shutout under his belt on a .818 save percentage and .67 goals against average through 1068+ minutes.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS