Score: Clark University 11; Emerson College 10 (Final- OT)
Records: Emerson Lions (10-2 1-1 NEWMAC); Clark Cougars (3-6, 1-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, MA (Rotch Field)
Date: April 2, 2022
The Lead: Junior Nicholas Fulgione found the net a game-high 5 times, but that was not enough as the Lions fell in overtime to Clark on Saturday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Nicholas Fulgione: 5 goals and 1 assist
Skyler Celotto: 2 goals and 3 assists
Alex Menendez: 3 goals and 1 assist
James Toomy: 10-20
Tyler King: 2-5
Malcolm McGrath (L, 8-2): 11 goals allowed on 25 shots with 14 saves through 63:40 minutes
Jacob Brydson: 3 goals
Benjamin Hollerbach: 2 goals and 1 assist
Attilio LaVecchia: 2 goals
Declan Fitzpatrick: 3 assists
Mark Zito: 11-16
Nathan Minkwitz: 2-9
Dylan Harloff (W, 2-0): 10 goals allowed on 15 shots with 15 saves through 63:40 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Clark had control in the first quarter as they stifled Emerson's offense and were able to net 3 goals.
- Freshman Alex Menendez was able to get the Lions on the board in the 1st quarter when he found the back of the net on a pass from Graduate Austin Franklin; but Emerson still found themselves down 4-1 after 1 quarter.
- Junior Nicholas Fulgione got the Lions offense going to begin the 2nd quarter as he netted 2 of his game-high 5 goals less than 30 seconds apart; cutting Clarks lead to 4-3 with 12:32 remaining in the 1st half.
- The Cougars would add another goal but a late goal from Senior Skyler Celotto would again cut the Cougars lead to only 1 as the game entered halftime with the Lions trailing 5-4.
- Clark was able to add 2 more goals in the 3rd quarter to increase their lead to 7-4 before Menendez would answer with his 2nd goal of the night.
- Clark increased their lead once again to 9-5 with 12:44 remaining in regulation.
- The Lions would rattle off 5 unanswered goals; Fulgione would net 3, Celotto would net 1, and Menendez would find the back of the net with :48 remaining in the game to give Emerson their first lead of the game.
- Clark's Jacob Brydson would answer with :9 remaining when he notched the game-tying goal and ultimately send the game to overtime.
- Brydson would strike again with :20 remining in overtime. He would beat the Emerson goalkeeper; giving Clark the sudden-death victory with a final score of 11-10
The Lions host cross town foe Emmanuel in a non-conference matchup on Wednesday, April 6 at 6pm.