Score: Emerson 12, Lasell 9
Records: Emerson Lions (6-1) ; Lasell Lasers (0-5)
Location: Newton, Mass. (Grellier Field)
Date: March 10, 2022
The Lead: It was a five-goal third stanza and then help of three goals apiece from sophomore Birk Swan and junior Nicholas Fulgione that helped push the Emerson men's lacrosse team to a 12-9 road victory out at Lasell on Thursday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Swan: three goals & three assists
Fulgione: three goals
Hunter Gervais: two goals & one assist
Skyler Celotto: one goal & two assists
Austin Franklin, Perice Eldredge, & Alex Menendez: one goal
Josh DeMattos: seven ground balls & five caused turnovers
FACE-OFFS: James Toomy (17-23)
GOALIE: Malcolm McGrath (W, 6-1) - nine goals allowed on 34 shots with 13 stops through 60 minutes
Jordan Hines: three goals & three caused turnovers
Nate Whitehead: two goals & three ground balls
David Burke & Anthony Derosa: one goal and two assists
Landon Reyes & Ryan Stone: one goal
Kyle Charlot: three ground balls
FACE-OFFS: Stephen Phelps (6-17) ; Magnus Leonard (0-5) ; Casey Hart (0-1)
GOALIE: Alex Beauchemin (L, 0-4) - 12 goals allowed on 42 shots faced with 13 saves through 60 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A little over two minutes into the start of the first is when Fulgione struck to put Emerson on top, 1-0, at the 12:53 mark. Reyes potted the 1-all equalizer at the 10:14 mark and was followed three minutes later by DeRosa with the go-ahead marker with the score sat at 2-1.
- Menendez's net at 6:56 locked the game up for the second time at 2-2 and began a 3-0 scoring run with goals from Gervais, Celotto and Fulgione as the Lions' wrapped the first frame up three at 5-2.
- Emerson was narrowly outshot by Lasell in the second stanza, 10-9, but could not turn any of its nine shots towards Beauchemin into goals. Hines slipped two markers past McGrath and Ryan Stone added one for Lasell with the score knotted at 5-all at the half.
- Lasell carried its scoring into the first two minutes of the third and got its lone goal of the frame on an unassisted tally from Burke to give the hosts their first lead at 6-5.
- After Burke's goal at 13:42, Emerson went on an offensive tear and rattled off five goals through the last 10 minutes of the third.
- Within the five-goal run, Swan contributed all three of his goals and pushed the Lions up 9-6 before Fulgione closed out the scoring at 3:02 and the 10-6 advantage to enter the fourth.
- Defense ruled the first five minutes of the fourth. Whitehead broke through with his first of two goals at 10:18 and tallied another at 4:53 to keep Lasell within three at 11-8.
- Eldredge and Franklin each registered goals within the fourth to keep Emerson on top by four as Franklin punched in the final Lions' goal at 3:50 with the score at 12-8.
- Lasell would get one last marker with 1:07 on the clock from Hines to inch the Lasers within three, but it was Emerson who held on for the 12-9 victory.
- Emerson stays on the road with a non-conference clash out at Gordon on Wednesday, March 16th at 7:00 p.m.