Score: Emerson 14, UNE 13
Records: Emerson Lions (4-0) ; University of New England Nor'Easters (2-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: March 2, 2022
The Lead: In a game that came down to the final seconds, the Emerson men's lacrosse team held off the University of New England, 14-13, as junior Nicholas Fulgione found the back of the net six times to help lock up the Lions' fourth straight win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Fulgione: six goals & one assist
Hunter Gervais: four goals
Birk Swan: two goals & two assists
Skyler Celotto: one goal & two assists
Austin Franklin: one goal
Celotto & James Toomy: three ground balls
Perice Eldredge: two caused turnovers
FACE-OFFS: Tyler King (7-13) ; Toomy (5-12)
Ryan Hazard: four goals
Jordan White: three goals
Andrew Lawrence: two goals
Jared Duffy: six ground balls
Will Szumita: three caused turnovers
FACE-OFFS: Duffy (13-25) ; Alden Balboni (0-1) ; Ben Gowell (1-2)
GOALIE: Matt Deyette (L, 2-2) - 14 goals allowed on 25 shots with 11 stops through 60 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UNE held control over Emerson within the first 15 minutes and outscored the Lions, 6-2.
- Two goals from White and one from Lawrence quickly gave the Nor'Easters a 3-0 advantage before Gervais found the back of the net for Emerson's first goal at 8:59. Hazard tacked on one more for UNE at 7:17, which was followed by Celotto's marker at 4:45 to cut the lead to 4-2.
- Celotto's net at 4:45 was Emerson's final goal of the frame, but UNE was not done on its end as Sam McGregor and Hazard netted a pair to give the visitors the four goal cushion.
- The second quarter was all Emerson as the Lions ignited a comeback with a 5-0 run, which included Fulgione's first hat trick of the season.
- Fulgione and Swan switched off for the quarter's first two goals with the score sat at 6-4 with 7:17 to go in the half. From the 5:18 mark to 1:54, Fulgione completed his hat trick to level the score at 7-all before Gervais netted the go-ahead tally with 59 ticks to give Emerson its first lead at 7-6.
- Within the second frame, Emerson went 2-for-3 on man-up opportunities.
- Much like the first half, Fulgione continued to overwhelm the UNE defense and potted his fourth goal to start off the third (8-6). After Swan lifted the Lions to a three-goal lead at 9-6, White broke up the host's scoring run with an unassisted net to put the score at 9-7.
- White's goal at 8:37 was all UNE would register as Gervais and Fulgione put in the quarter's final pair of tallies to give Emerson the 11-7 lead entering the fourth.
- Franklin and Fulgione struck in the opening three minutes of the fourth to give Emerson the six-goal cushion (13-7). UNE slowly began to put themselves back in the mix with a pair from Kyle Kennedy and Hazard and inched the Nor'Easters within four at 13-9.
- Gervais put in what would be the 14th and ultimately the winning goal for Emerson at 9:35, the last goal the Lions would get past Deyette.
- 32 seconds after Gervais scored for Emerson, UNE used the remaining nine and a half minutes to to chisel down what was once a six-goal Lions lead down to one.
- Hazard got the UNE scoring started at 9:03 and was followed up by a tally from Watt at 7:22 with the score sat at 14-11. Costly Emerson miscues allowed Mann to put in the 12th Nor'Easters marker past McGrath and the Lions' lead now down to two at 14-12.
- Another Lions' miscue proved beneficial for the Nor'Easters as Lawrence's marker at 3:31 cut the lead down to 14-13.
- UNE registered two shots within the two minutes, both of which were halted by McGrath.
- After Emerson got UNE to turn over possession on a shot clock violation with 42 seconds left in regulation, the Lions' clear attempted failed on a turnover at midfield. The defense came in clutch and got a timely turnover behind the net with 31 seconds on the clock and held on to the 14-13 victory.
- Emerson heads out for its spring break trip up to New York and take on Vassar on Saturday, March 5th at 1:00 p.m.