Score: Emerson 15, Nichols 9
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0) ; Nichols Bison (0-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: February 19, 2022
The Lead: Graduate Austin Franklin led the Emerson men's lacrosse team with four goals and senior goalkeeper Malcolm McGrath made 15 stops to help power the Lions to a season-opening 15-9 win over the visiting Nichols Bison on Saturday afternoon at Rotch Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Franklin: four goals & one assist
Jack O'Rourke: three goals
Birk Swan & Nicholas Fulgoine: two goals & two assists
Skyler Celotto: two goals & one assist
James Toomy: five ground balls, 8-of-13 in face-off X
Lex Torrington: four caused turnovers
GOALIE: McGrath (1-0) - nine goals allowed on 24 shots with 15 saves through 60 minutes
Cian Keohane: four goals
Colby Gillis, Ryan Warner, Jack Ellis & Connor Santoni: one assist
Scott Ehrenberg: four ground balls, 12-of-25 in face-off X
GOALIE(s): Billy Heller (0-1) - 10 goals allowed on 15 shots with five stops through 30 minutes
Brady Morgan - five goals allowed on 12 shots with seven saves through 30 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson heavily outshot Nichols through the first 10 minutes of action at 15-8, which helped the Lions pot six goals for the 6-3 advantage.
- It was Emerson who struck first with back-to-back goals from Swan and Franklin to give the hosts an early 2-0 advantage. Santoni put Nichols on the board at 6:33 before O'Rourke and Franklin contributed two more goals to put the score at 4-1.
- From the 5:05 mark to 4:39, Nichols cut down Emerson's three-goal lead down to 4-3 thanks to a pair of nets from Gillis and Keohane.
- Up one with just over four minutes left in the quarter, Emerson used goals from Fulgoine and Franklin to push their lead up to three and wrapped the first up 6-3.
- The second quarter saw both teams find the back of the net four times apiece, but it was Emerson who went into the break with the 10-7 edge.
- Emerson saw its three-goal lead once again dwindle down to one in the beginning of the second as Nichols tallied the frame's first two goals before Swan snuck a goal in the mix to move the Lions up to 7-5.
- After a Keohane tally at 10:34 put the Bison behind one at 7-6, the Lions answered on their end with two more goals from Celotto and senior Peirce Eldredge with the lead now at 9-6. Before the half's end, each team slipped in goals from Keohane followed by O'Rourke.
- Emerson overwhelmed Nichols out of halftime as snuck in a trio of nets from Franklin, O'Rourke and Fulgoine within the opening five minutes and saw its lead increase to 13-7.
- Nichols made their way onto the board in the third when Gillis put in the Bison's eighth goal at the 2:10 mark (13-8). With 35 ticks left in the quarter, Celotto fired in the 14th Lions' marker to wrap the quarter at 14-8.
- It was a quiet fourth offensively on both ends as each team made their way onto the board one time each. Deep into the fourth at 3:02 was when the Bison tallied a man-up goal, their last during regulation. (14-9)
- With 2:17 left in the game, Franklin found Gervais in front of the net as Gervais snuck the final Emerson goal past Morgan to ice the 15-9 victory.
- Emerson heads back to the field on Wednesday, February 23rd across town at Wentworth with the first face-off set for 4:00 p.m.