Score: Emerson 15, Nichols 6
Records: Emerson Lions (2-2) ; Nichols Bison (1-4)
Location: Dudley, Mass. (Vendetti Field)
Date: Saturday, March 7, 2020
The Lead: The Emerson men's lacrosse team exploded for a six-goal second quarter to help secure the 15-6 victory over Nichols on Saturday afternoon and saw sophomore Skyler Celotto (Westport, Conn.) pot six goals followed by a four-assist day from sophomore Hunter Gervais (Johnston, R.I.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Celotto: 6 goals
Cameron McNeal: 3 goals
Peirce Eldredge & Gervais: 2 goals
Jack O'Rourke & Austin Franklin: 1 goal
Gervais: 4 assists
Malcolm McGrath: 6 ground balls
Lex Torrington: 2 caused turnovers
Face-offs: Alex Hrisanthopoulos (16-of-24)
Goalie(s): McGrath (2-2) - 6 goals allowed on 26 shots & 20 saves through 55 minutes
Calloway Myers - 0 goals allowed on 4 shots & 4 saves
Brendan Coates, Hunter Ferreira & Cian Keohane: 2 goals
Ferreira: 4 ground balls
Dominic Ambrosino, Brandon Slade & Connor Miller: 1 caused turnover
Face-offs: Alex DeVre (4-of-12) ; Pat Nally (4-of-12)
Goalie: Griffin Jasin (1-4) - 15 goals allowed on 29 shots & 14 saves through 60 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The sophomore duo of Celotto and Gervais jumpstarted Emerson's scoring in the first quarter when Celotto put in a pair at the 7:59 and 4:44 marks before Gervais pushed the Lions to a three-goal lead 11 seconds later. (3-0)
- Nichols answered with two goals of its own from Ferreira and Keohane before the quarter's end and cute Emerson's advantage down to one. (3-2)
- The Bison the opening five minutes of the second to lift themselves to a one-goal edge after Keohane and Coates slipped goals past McGrath with the score at 4-3 at the 10:15 mark.
- Starting at 7:37, the trio of Celotto, Gervais and Franklin spread three goals over a minute span and propelled the Lions to a two-goal cushion before Coates netted his second goal of the game and inched Nichols back within one at 6:04. (6-5)
- The remaining five minutes of the second belonged to Emerson and saw three more goals from McNeal, Eldredge and Celotto make their way past Jasin as the visitors jumped to a four-goal lead at half's end. (9-5)
- Emerson used the third quarter to outscore Nichols, 3-1, to extend its lead up to six at 12-6.
- After Celotto's fifth goal of the game counted as the 10th Emerson marker, Nichols snuck into the scoring mix with a 8:25 tally from Ferreira before McNeal and O'Rourke sent in the next pair of Lions goals.
- Despite Nichols outshooting Emerson, 16-10, in the final frame, Emerson found the back of the net three times and held the Bison to no tallies as Eldredge, McNeal and Celotto iced the Lions' 15-6 victory.
- Emerson continues its road stint with a non-league slate up at the University of New England on Wednesday, March 11 at 6:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS