Score: Emerson 8, Mt. St. Mary's 4
Records: Emerson Lions (1-1) ; Mt. St. Mary's (NY) Knights (1-2)
Location: Newburgh, N.Y. (Kaplan Field)
Date: Saturday, February 29, 2020
The Lead: Senior Austin Franklin and sophomores Skyler Celotto and Hunter Gervais all found the back of the net two times apiece to help lock up the Emerson men's lacrosse team's 8-4 victory over Mt. St. Mary's (NY) on Saturday afternoon for its first win of 2020.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Franklin: 2 goals, 1 assist
Celotto: 2 goals, 2 assists, 7 ground balls & 2 caused turnovers
Gervais: 2 goals, 1 assist
Brandon DiFede: 1 goal & 1 caused turnover
Jack Lewis & Ryan Sphar: 2 caused turnovers
Tim Doyle, McGrath & Jiwon Kim: 1 caused turnover
Alex Hrisanthopoulos: 3-of-11 in the face-off X
Goalie(s): Malcolm McGrath (1-1) - 4 goals allowed on 12 shots & 8 saves through 60 minutes
MT. ST. MARY'S
Matthew Esposito, Billy Holland, Nick Gurello & Ryan Maraio: 1 goal
Michael Gallucci & Thomas Bahmer: 1 assist
Chris Maggio: 7 ground balls & 4 caused turnovers
Zachary Beam: 12-of-15 in face-off X
Goalie: Devin Kelly (1-2) - 8 goals allowed on 16 shots & 8 saves through 60 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- An unassisted marker by Celotto at 13:29 of the opening frame quickly gave Emerson a 1-0 lead over Mt. St. Mary's until Bahemer fed Marario at 12:47 to knot up the game, 1-all.
- The remainder of the quarter belonged to the Lions and saw two different goal scorers in Gervais and Doyle lift the visitors to a two-goal lead at 3-1.
- Emerson carried its momentum from the end of the first into the opening nine minutes of the second and slipped three goals past Kelly for the now three-goal 6-1 advantage.
- With the help of Celotto, Franklin fired a pair of goals at the 12:24 and 6:23 mark with a marker from DiFede snuck in the mix at 10:11.
- Mt. St. Mary's was able to tack another goal on the board with 1:55 left in the half on an assisted tally from Gurello with Emerson entering the half with a 6-2 cushion.
- The Knights cut the Lions' lead in half to start the third after a 13:39 goal from Esposito only to have Gervais and Celotto follow up on the other end with two more Lions' goals to extend their cushion to five at 8-3.
- Holland put in one more goal for Mt. St. Mary's with 20 seconds on the clock to bring the score to 8-4.
- Neither side would register a goal in the fourth despite the Knights firing 12 shots McGrath's way as the Lions held on to the 8-4 victory.
- Emerson makes their way down to Pennsylvania on Wednesday, March 4 for a slate against Widener at 12:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS