Score: UMass.-Dartmouth 10, Emerson 6
Records: Emerson Lions (4-3) ; UMass.-Dartmouth (4-4)
Location: Dartmouth, Mass.
Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2018
The Lead: Freshman Austin Franklin (Muncie, Ind.) found the back of the net twice for the Lions in the Emerson men's lacrosse team's 10-6 setback at the hands of UMass.-Dartmouth on Wednesday night under the lights in non conference action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Franklin paced Emerson with a pair of goals while both junior Cameron Radenberg (Los Angeles, Calif.) and freshman Stevie Powers (Arlington, Mass.) each collected a pair of assists.
- In the face-off circle, sophomore Austin DiPietro led the Lions by winning 6-of-13 and junior Fernando Gutierrez (Lancaster, Penn.) taking the win in 4-of-7.
- Also leading the defense was freshman Spencer Clark (Orlando, Fl.), who caused three turnovers.
- Junior net minder Bailey Kennedy (Swampscott, Mass.) came away with 14 saves within 60 minutes in net and also picked up a team-high seven ground balls.
- For UMass.-Dartmouth, Jordan Torres and Donovan Prozinski netted a combined seven goals for the Corsairs with Torres scoring four and Prozinski putting in three.
- Prozinski and Sawyer Gibbons each had five ground ball pickups as Gibbons also caused three turnovers.
- Matt Daly came away with 7-of-11 wins in the X for UMass.-Dartmouth, while goalkeeper Devin Dunn allowed six goals while coming away with three saves.
- UMass.-Dartmouth held the 35-18 shot advantage and 33-23 edge in ground balls, went 17-of-18 in clears and were 0-for-2 while on the man-up.
- Emerson went 20-for-24 in successful clears while going 1-of-6 with the man-up advantage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Torres started off scoring within the opening five minutes of the first frame on an unassisted net.
- Emerson followed with three unanswered goals, starting with a man-up net from Franklin followed by a man-down goal from junior Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.) and Radenberg's unassisted marker to put the Lions on top 3-1 with 5:23 on the clock.
- The hosts followed up with a trio of goals, including two from the stick of Prozinski, before the quarter's end to go up 4-3.
- UMass.-Dartmouth mainlined momentum in the second and fount the back of the net three more times and held Emerson scoreless to give the hosts the 7-3 edge at the half.
- Within the early minutes of the second half, Emerson was able to get a goal back from Powers and got the Lions back within three at 7-4 in the third.
- Torres and Mike Rizzo slipped pair of goals past Kennedy to close out the final 7:15 of the third and gave the Corsairs the 9-4 advantage.
- After Franklin knocked in the fifth Lions' goal off a feed from Radenberg at 13:53, Dean Miller tallied the hosts' 10th and final goal before freshman Tim Doyle (San Diego, Calif.) was able to put in a goal at 5:38 to put the final at 10-6.
- Emerson opens NEWMAC play on Friday, March 30 and will host Springfield at 7:30 p.m.
- UMass.-Dartmouth will also begin conference play on Saturday, March 31 when it welcomes Salem State at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS