Score: WPI 64, Emerson 53
Records: Emerson Lions (8-7, NEWMCAC 3-1); WPI Engineers (12-2, NEWMAC 4-0)
Location: Worcester Mass. (Harrington Auditorium)
Date: January 14, 2023
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Jarred Houston: 18 points and 13 rebounds
Nate Martin: 18 points
Trevor Arico: 9 points
John Adams: 14 points and 8 rebounds
John Lowther: 9 points and 11 rebounds
Aidan Callahan: 14 points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists
J.R. Newman: 16 points
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions entered Saturday afternoon averaging 75.2 points per game but were held to just 53 points by WPI. The Engineers held the Lions to 20 of 52 shooting (38.5%), including only converting 4 of 21 (19%) on shots from three-point distance.
- Both offenses struggled to open the game as it took the Lions over three minutes to break the scoreless tie and WPI didn't get on the board until five minutes into the game.
- The two sides traded buckets for the majority of the first half as Graduate Nate Martin dropped in 11 of his game-high 18 points.
- WPI closed out the first half with a 7-0 run that allowed the Engineers to take a 24-17 lead into the locker room.
- The second half was much like the first half as the teams traded baskets. WPI built a 10-point lead, but was quickly answered by a 9-0 run by the Lions. Graduate Jarred Houston was red hot in the second half, scoring 16 of 18 points and converting 7 of 8 field goal attempts.
- Back-to-back three pointers from the Engineers John Adams and J.R. Newman gave WPI a seven-point lead that they would hold on to enroute to victory.
- The Lions continue their NEWMAC schedule as they welcome in Wheaton (MA) to the Brown and Plofker Gym on Wednesday, January 18th. Tipoff is set for 5pm.