Score: Emerson 96, Clark 79
Records: Emerson Lions (8-6, 3-0 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (9-5, 1-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: January 11, 2023
The Lead: Senior Max Davis canned 9-of-15 from the perimeter for a career-high 31 points as was followed by five more members of the Emerson men's basketball team in double-figures as the Lions notched their third straight NEWMAC win in a 91-79 victory over Clark on Wednesday night. Within the win, graduate Jarred Houston pulled down his 1,000th career rebound.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Davis: 31 points, seven assists
James Beckwith: 22 points
Nate Martin: 12 points, three steals
Jarred Houston: 12 points, 20 rebounds, four blocks
Sean Coman: 12 points
Brendan McNamara: three steals
Isaiah Taylor: 27 points, five assists
Mikey O'Brien: 16 points
Kekoa McArdle: 11 points, eight rebounds
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson dominated from downtown within the first half as they shot 52.2% on 12-of-23, six of which came from the hands of Davis.
- From 35 seconds in to the 15:42 mark, Davis used three triples and a layup to singlehandedly spread 11 points through a five minute span to give Emerson the 11-9 lead.
- Emerson and Clark exchanged baskets over the next four minutes with five ties and five lead changes. After Clark closed the gap at 21-all with 11:28 on the clock, it was all Emerson for the next eight minutes.
- A 28-10 spurt that included five shots from downtown helped Emerson extend their margin to their largest lead of 18 at 49-31. Within the run, Coman knocked down three trifectas. The Lions continued to use their strength beyond the arc to stay in front by double-digits up until the 1:02 mark.
- Down 15, Clark used back-to-back three's from Jordan Richard and Reid Neumann to inch the Cougars back within single digits at 57-48 for the next time since the 11:28 mark. Beckwith missed his final shot with six ticks on the clock and Emerson entered halftime up nine.
- Emerson worked quick to begin the second and used the first 1:08 to notch three buckets from Houston and Beckwith the bolster the Lions' lead into double-figures for the remainder of the frame.
- Another triple from Coman at 11:22 fell through and boosted Emerson's advantage to 20 at 80-60. For the last nine minutes, the closest Clark was about to reach Emerson was 12 as the hosts ran away with the 96-79 win.
- Emerson makes their way out to Worcester on Saturday, January 14th to take on No. 14 WPI in a rematch of the 2022 NEWMAC Championship at 1:00 p.m.