Score: Emerson 81, Coast Guard 76
Records: Emerson Lions (7-6, 2-0 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Bears (3-10, 1-1 NEWMAC)
Location: New London, Conn. (Merriman Gym)
Date: January 7, 2023
The Lead: Paced by graduate Nate Martin's game-high 22 points, the Emerson men's basketball team captured their second consecutive NEWMAC victory down at Coast Guard, 81-76, on Saturday afternoon. Three more Lions - Max Davis, Brendan McNamara and Jarred Houston - rounded out the top scorers with double-figures.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Martin: 22 points
Max Davis: 19 points, six assists
Brendan McNamara: 15 points
Jarred Houston: 14 points, 13 rebounds, three blocks
Elijah Parent: 14 points
Cameron Brown: 13 points
Abe Countryman: 12 points
Declan Rooney: 10 points, five assists, three steals
Luke Farrell, seven rebounds
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With three minutes of the first half in the books, Emerson jumped out to an 8-3 margin and stayed in front before Coast Guard knocked down a trio of baskets to lock the game at 15-all.
- Back-to-back three's from Martin and sophomore Trevor Arico lifted Emerson back ahead by three at 21-18. After Mitch Shettles put in the go-ahead jumper at 9:52, the Lions lost their slight edge and would trail Coast Guard over the next five minutes.
- Within that span, Emerson allowed Coast Guard to go on an 11-2 spurt as the Bears capitalized on two missed shots and four turnovers by the Lions as they fell behind by six at 29-23.
- McNamara's triple capped off pushed Emerson back up by one (32-31) and capped off what was a 9-2 spark by the visitors with 4:04 left in the first. A pair of free throws kept Coast Guard within one (34-33), but Emerson outscored the hosts down the stretch with a 7-0 run.
- Another trifecta from McNamara closed the streak with 50 ticks on the clock and moved the score to 41-33. Both teams missed their final three-point attempts as Emerson went into the break with an eight-point lead (41-33).
- Back-to-back layups from McNamara and Houston opened Emerson's scoring in the second and stretched their margin into double figures for the first time at 45-33.
- Jarrod Jackson's three at 15:53 got Coast Guard back within nine, but not long before Emerson used another pair of lay-ups from Houston and Davis to bolster the Lions to their largest lead of the game (51-38) at 14:57.
- The hosts pieced together a quick little 7-0 run from 13:33 to 12:26 to slice Emerson's lead down to four (53-49), but watched it disappear after Davis drained two three's and Martin converted a successful three-shot trip at the line (62-49) with 10:30 left to play.
- The two teams battled over the next nine and a half minutes as Coast Guard chiseled Emerson's deficit all the way down to three. Trevor Parks singlehandedly kept the Bears alive with three consecutive triples to move the score to 77-74 with 41 ticks remaining.
- The last 15 seconds saw both Martin and Davis put the game away at the charity stripe before Farrell got a buzzer trey as the Lions held on for the 81-76 win.
- Emerson remains in NEWMAC action and returns home on Wednesday, January 11th when they host Clark at 6:00 p.m.