Score: Emerson 55, Suffolk 51
Records: Emerson Lions (2-3) ; Suffolk Rams (3-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: November 22, 2022
The Lead: Graduate Jarred Houston paced the pack with a double-double of 16 points and 11 boards followed by two more double-figure showings as the Emerson men's basketball team made their way back into the win column with a 55-51 win over Suffolk on Tuesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Houston: 16 points, 11 rebounds, four blocks
James Beckwith: 12 points
Nate Martin: 10 points
Brendan McNamara: five assists
Keenan Robertson: 23 points, nine rebounds
Aidan Sullivan: 10 points, three steals
William Rowe: one block
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson used the power of the three-point bucket in the first half, shooting 54.5% on six of 11 attempts, and held Suffolk to a lowly 14.3% as the Lions outscored the Rams, 31-25, in the opening half.
- Houston opened Emerson's scoring with a quick six-points in a 2:46 span followed by a triple from Martin to give the Lions' the five-point 9-4 lead at 16:12.
- At 10:28, graduate Sean Coman connected for a deep corner three that pushed Emerson's lead up to six at 14-8 as the Lions continued to hold a consistent lead over Suffolk.
- Emerson's six-point lead was erased when Suffolk rang off a 7-0 spurt at the midway point of the half as Jake Gomez's go-ahead triple fell through and gave the Rams their first edge at 7:32 at 15-14.
- McNamara nailed a triple to push Emerson back in front and set the Lions off on a 6-2 run for the four-point 21-17 edge at 4:39.
- A trey from Cole LeVangie leveled the game at 21-all with just over three minutes remaining. Suffolk kept things tight and closed within one on two occasions, but Emerson fended off the Rams with a 10-4 run to wrap the first half with the 31-25 lead.
- Emerson's offensive momentum carried into the early minutes of the second when a trey from Houston at 17:20 set off a 7-0 spark that was capped by Beckwith's triple to extend the host's advantage to nine at 38-29 with 15:44 left to play.
- Up eight at 41-33, a turnover and two missed baskets by Emerson allowed Suffolk to inch within striking distance with their own 7-0 streak and narrowed the Lions' lead down to one at 10:05.
- Three missed shots and two turnovers by the Rams allowed the Lions respond their their own run and converted the next eleven points. After Martin sent up the midrange jumper, Emerson held their largest lead of the day at 52-40 at the 5:55 mark.
- Suffolk continued to keep pace with Emerson and narrowed the host's lead down to three twice within the final two minutes.
- With six ticks left in regulation, Beckwith made one of two of his free throws before Sullivan's last second three-point attempt sailed right to help Emerson hold on to the 55-51 win.
- Emerson takes a break for the holiday and return to action on Monday, November 28th out at Brandeis at 7:00 p.m.