Score: Emerson 103, Clark 70
Records: Emerson Lions (14-8, 7-4 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (8-14, 3-8 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Wednesday, February 12, 2020
The Lead: With the help of six members of the Emerson men's basketball knocking down double figures in points and the bench outscoring Clark's bench, 43-12, the Lions secured a pivotal 103-70 victory over Clark to avoid the series sweep on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Jarred Houston (19), Max Davis & Jack O'Connor (16), James Beckwith (15), Trevor McLean & Zach Waterhouse (12)
Rebounds: Houston (8)
Assists: O'Connor (10)
Steals: Davis (3)
Blocks: Stephen Fabrizio (2)
Points: Biko Gayman (21), Tyler Davern (16) & Zackary Mittelstadt (15)
Rebounds: Matthew Waggatt & Davern (6)
Assists: Gayman (4)
Steals: Waggett, Charlie Trey-Masters, Gayman & Joel Aretega (1)
Blocks: Davern (2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson maintained a four-point edge over Clark through the first five minutes when two consecutive triples from O'Connor ignited a 15-5 spurt to bolster the Lions lead into double figures at 11 (23-12).
- Clark answered and used a layup by Davern followed by a shot by Waggett behind the arc to pull within single digits at six (23-17) with just over eight minutes to go in the half.
- A triple by Mittelstadt kept Clark in a single digit deficit at nine at the 5:53 mark, yet Emerson once again ballooned its lead into double figures for good starting at 5:09 when Houston drew an and-one.
- After the and-one by Houston at 5:09, Emerson's offense kicked into high gear and outscored Clark 21 to seven with the lengthy 24 point lead going into the half (53-29).
- It was at the 18:13 mark when Emerson gained its biggest lead of the game at 25 after back-to-back layups from O'Connor and Waterhouse with the score at 58-32.
- Holding its biggest lead of the game at 25, Clark knocked down three consecutive baskets, including a pair of trifectas by Gayman, for a quick 8-2 run that inched the Cougars back under a 20-point deficit (59-40).
- A layup by Houston got Emerson back up to a 24-point cushion, but that lead quickly dwindled down to 14 behind Clark holding the Lions scoreless on a 10-0 streak (64-50).
- The Cougars used the perimeter to once again gain ground down 17 with 12:13 on the clock, which would be the last time the visitors would reach a deficit under 20.
- At the 4:59 mark, Davis single handedly moved Emerson's already large advantage into the 30s with a string of six points and the Lions ahead by 33 (94-61).
- The Lions cruised for the remaining four and a half minutes and were able to ice the 103-70 victory with the help of a jumper by sophomore Jaelen Ogadhoh (Portland, Ore.).
- Emerson travels out to WPI on Saturday, February 15 for tip-off that is slated for 3:00 p.m.
- Clark returns to Worcester for its last two-game home stand and host Coast Guard on Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS