Score: Springfield 86, Emerson 76
Records: Emerson Lions (13-8, 6-4 NEWMAC) ; No. 23 Springfield Pride (18-3, 9-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Springfield, Mass. (Blake Arena)
Date: Saturday, February 8, 2020
The Lead: Despite outscoring Springfield 50-47 in the second half, the Emerson men's basketball were unable to get past the Pride in an 86-76 setback on Saturday afternoon in NEWMAC play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Jake Ross (29), Heath Post & Trey Witter (13)
Rebounds: Ross (14)
Assists: Ross (4)
Steals: Ross, Daryl Costa & Deonte Sandifer (1)
Blocks: Ross (4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson faced the early 7-2 deficit just three minutes into the contest after Ross nailed the trifecta, yet the Lions were able to bounce back and regain the 12-11 lead when sophomore Trevor McLean (Boston, Mass.) drilled a triple at 14:19.
- Springfield answered with a 9-0 burst fueled by five points from Post to grab back the 20-12 cushion.
- Freshman Ben Allen (Hampton Beach, N.H.) scored down low to help the Lions pull within a pair at 20-18 at the 8:02 mark, but the hosts gained control with a 16-4 spurt to earn the 36-22 advantage with under three minutes to go in the half.
- At half's end, the Lions would find themselves trailing by the score of 39-26.
- Houston paced Emerson early and helped the visitors pull within seven (42-35) just under three minutes into the second frame.
- Over the next 3:32, the home team embarked on a lengthy 16-2 run that consisted of four three's to push its lead up to 58-37.
- Emerson continued to face a double-digit deficit for much of the half until the Lions stormed back with an 11-4 surge, thanks to seven points from O'Connor, to make it a two-possession contest with 2:04 on the clock.
- From then on, the game went to the free throw line as the Pride knocked down 10 from the line within the final 1:14 with the Lions falling by a score of 86-76.
- Emerson begins the final stretch of its home schedule on Wednesday, February 12 at 5:30 p.m. hosting Clark.
- Springfield spends next Wednesday night on the road with a NEWMAC slate out at Wheaton (Mass.) at 6:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS