Score: Emerson 86, MIT 57
Records: Emerson Lions (12-7, 5-3 NEWMAC) ; MIT Engineers (10-9, 3-5 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, February 1, 2020
The Lead: The Emerson men's basketball team capped off a season sweep over MIT as five Lions dropped double figures in points led by an 18 point showing by sophomore Jarred Houston (Norwood, Mass.) in the hosts' 86-57 NEWMAC victory over the Engineers on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Houston (18), James Beckwith (15), Jack O'Connor (14), Nate Martin (11) & Zach Waterhouse (10)
Assists: O'Connor (7)
Rebounds: O'Connor (10)
Steals: O'Connor & Houston (4)
Blocks: Houston (3)
Points: Dan Pilsbury & Giannis Chatziveroglou (14), Matas Masys (11)
Assists: Grant Miller (4)
Rebounds: Ian Hinkley & Pilsbury (7)
Steals: Pilsbury (3)
Blocks: Kael Kordonowy (1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Despite MIT dropping a quick three 29 seconds into the first frame, it was the last basket the Engineers would convert over the next 10 minutes as Emerson went full throttle on the offensive and defensive ends and halted the visitors at the basket.
- Started off on a jumper by Martin at 18:59, the Lions went on a 20-0 tear capped off by a Ben Holding jumper at 10:33 before MIT cashed in its first basket at 9:09 on Chatziverglou's layup. (20-5)
- MIT snuck a little 6-4 run nearing the end of the opening half and pulled within 13, but Emerson kept knocking down buckets and entered the locker room with its margin ballooned to 16. (32-16)
- At the beginning of the second stanza, MIT were kept within a double-digit deficit at 15 before Emerson's lead took a trip into the 20s after Martin banked a three-point shot at 14:24. (14:24)
- Once Emerson gave themselves a comfortable cushion over MIT, the Lions extended it even more with a lead of 30 on a shot from deep by O'Connor. (71-41)
- The closest the Lions allowed the Engineers to come within the final four minutes of regulation was at 23 and iced the victory on yet another Emerson triple by Jack Healy with the final score at 86-57.
- Emerson heads over to Wheaton (Mass.) to wrap the season series on Wednesday, February 5 at 7:00 p.m.
- MIT hosts Babson in a midweek conference matchup on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS