Score: No. 23 Babson 86, Emerson 84
Records: Emerson Lions (11-7, 4-3 NEWMAC) ; No. 23 Babson Beavers (15-3, 5-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2020
The Lead: Four of the five Emerson men's basketball team starters cashed in double figures in points, led by 26 points from sophomore Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.), but a last second jumper by Babson set the Lions back 86-84 in NEWMAC play on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Waterhouse (26), Jarred Houston (14), Jack O'Connor & Nate Martin (13)
Assists: Waterhouse (6)
Rebounds: O'Connor & Houston (7)
Steals: Trevor McLean & O'Connor (1)
Blocks: Houston (5)
Points: Andrew Jaworski (26), Andrew Kirkpatrick (18), Crew Ainge & Colin Bradanese (15)
Assists: Kirkpatrick (4)
Rebounds: Bradanese (8)
Steals: Kirkpatrick (3)
Blocks: Bradanese (5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson carried a 52-43 into the opening half and converted 64.7% of its shots, which saw Waterhouse leading the way with 21 of his 26 points on 9-of-12 from the floor and 3-of-4 beyond the arc.
- The Lions held a 12-point lead within the beginning of the second half and had it quickly erased on a 20-8 Babson spurt that consisted of 15 points by Jaworski and Ainge to knot the game at 65-all.
- Over the next three minutes, the two teams exchanged baskets and began a stretch that saw the lead change eight times.
- Waterhouse and Martin put in buckets to push Emerson back on top by three (77-74) with 5:21 to play, but the hosts answered with a 6-0 spurt to make it 80-77 at the 3:30 mark.
- Bradanese registered a pair of scores after Emerson was able to cut its deficit to one before O'Connor knocked down a deep triple to level it 84-all with 1:14 on the clock.
- Both sides came up empty in their following possessions, which gave Babson the game's last possession with 28 seconds remaining.
- Kirkpatrick tried a three only for its to skim the backboard as the rebound landed in the hands of Bradanese and dropped in the game-winner with the Lions facing the tight 86-84 setback.
- Emerson returns home after a quick road stint to host MIT on Saturday, February 1 at 3:00 p.m.
- Babson takes to the road for a NEWMAC slate down at Coast Guard on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS